cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2007, 06:01 PM   #1
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cable television shows

It is kind of nice right now to see so many good cable television shows. A few years ago, HBO was the only one that did anything good on cable. Now, bunches of the stations are doing some good stuff. I don't follow each one of these shows religiously and often I will just pick it up on dvd when the entire season comes out, but here is my ranking of the top 5 cable television shows:

1. Battlestar Galactica (SciFi)--best show on cable and probably the best show on all of television.
2. Entourage (HBO)--it has fallen a bit this past year, but it is still always entertaining.
3. The Wire (HBO)--brutal and painful to watch and always compelling.
4. Weeds (ShowTime)--last season was very dark but how can you pass up a suburban mom selling weed and going up against a variety of parental issues as well as drug gangs.
5. Flight of the Conchords (HBO)--definately not for everyone as it is truly bizarre and funny and the songs are so brutal lyrically but always memorable.
6. The Closer (TNT)--Kyra Sedwick is fabulous.
7. Psych (USA)--light hearted but often laugh out loud funny.

I did not include 'Extras' simply because it is limited run.

Shows that I have never seen but will probably pick up someday on dvd--Dexter (Showtime), Its always Sunny in Philadelphia (TBS), Burn Notice (TNT), The Shield (FX).
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 06:08 PM   #2
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I'm a Psych fan, too. I also like USA's new show Burn Notice.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 06:10 PM   #3
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Galactica is fantastic, although it sucks we have to wait nearly a year in-between seasons. I agree, one if not the best show on TV, and I'm not even a Sci Fi fan.

The Shield is great but they probably only have one more good season in them.

Mad Men is a new cable show on A&E. Revolves around some Madison Ave. ad exec's in the 60's. I like it.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 06:35 PM   #4
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

At last, another reason not to get cable. Life is so much simpler when the only thing to watch is The Office.
marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 06:52 PM   #5
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

The Shield is a great show.

This past season wasn't as good as previous seasons, but still better than most other TV Shows.

The season last year with Forrest Whittaker's character coming into the fray, was some of the most compelling television I've ever watched and the season finale was so poweful, that to this day it's the best season finale of a TV show I've ever watched.

The Shield's final season starts up next year early sometime I think.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:11 PM   #6
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
It is kind of nice right now to see so many good cable television shows. A few years ago, HBO was the only one that did anything good on cable. Now, bunches of the stations are doing some good stuff. I don't follow each one of these shows religiously and often I will just pick it up on dvd when the entire season comes out, but here is my ranking of the top 5 cable television shows:

1. Battlestar Galactica (SciFi)--best show on cable and probably the best show on all of television.
2. Entourage (HBO)--it has fallen a bit this past year, but it is still always entertaining.
4. Weeds (ShowTime)--last season was very dark but how can you pass up a suburban mom selling weed and going up against a variety of parental issues as well as drug gangs.
5. Flight of the Conchords (HBO)--definately not for everyone as it is truly bizarre and funny and the songs are so brutal lyrically but always memorable.

Shows that I have never seen but will probably pick up someday on dvd--Dexter (Showtime), Its always Sunny in Philadelphia (TBS), Burn Notice (TNT), The Shield (FX).
Any list that does not include Flight of the Conchords at the top of best cable TV shows is completely invalid. I will not watch any of these shows that you recommended because you have not shown Flight of the Conchords the proper respect.

Now I will go and do something very rock and roll and use my per diem to buy a leather suit.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:44 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.wordpres...9/85-the-wire/
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:49 PM   #8
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
The Shield is a great show.

This past season wasn't as good as previous seasons, but still better than most other TV Shows.

The season last year with Forrest Whittaker's character coming into the fray, was some of the most compelling television I've ever watched and the season finale was so poweful, that to this day it's the best season finale of a TV show I've ever watched.

The Shield's final season starts up next year early sometime I think.
I'll second this.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:03 PM   #9
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

What, no mention of that teenage girl show you were pimping for so long?

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:06 PM   #10
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
What, no mention of that teenage girl show you were pimping for so long?
Veronica Mars was not a cable show, so it was not on the list. Otherwise, it would have been a co-#1 with Battlestar.

A recent addition would be: 'Dexter' on Showtime. This would move up my list to #2 for cable shows.

Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia would also move into the top 7 as well.

Goatnapper: "UteStar is the only one who is not scum."
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote