cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2006, 05:16 PM   #11
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Bingo, sans the strong southern accent. She became born again several years ago.

My wife's family is firmly entrenched smack dab in the middle of the Bible Belt, and while all but my wife and her sister are Catholic, they tend to take on much of the local flavor in day-to-day manifestation of their religious fervor (for example, they all pray vocally at restaurants).

I don't mean to offend and fully assume that my SiL had picked up the idea from Bible Study class. Frankly, I'm tolerant enough to suffer a wide variety of religious observances, and have done so in my life. But the overwhelming majority of them, while odd and outside of my full understanding and appreciation, at least introduced some form of reverence for and humility before deity.

That said, my first thought was, “Hasn't everyone done enough to remember and honor the "true meaning" of Christmas?” We put up a tree topped with a star, we sing and listen to the carols celebrating His birth, we set up nativities throughout the house as a constant reminder, we attend special religious services solely to honoring and remembering the reason for joy at this time of year. To me, after all this, a cake with candles and singing Happy Birthday trivializes and dumbs down the event, aside from being in extremely poor taste (and very cheesy).

If people really want to draw nearer to the "real meaning" of Christmas, why not read from scripture, re-enact the Christmas story, and sing some of those carols we've come to love over the centuries?

Next Christmas is really going to be interesting.
Do you anticipate there will be a funeral at Easter? That could be just as fun.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:59 PM   #12
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

So, after hearing about these Jesus birthday parties, perhaps you all understand why my dear husband is desperate to move west.

He has this sense that Christians in Seattle (if there ARE Christians in Seattle?) couldn't possibly do anything so inane as a birthday party for Christmas.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 08:09 PM   #13
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
Do you anticipate there will be a funeral at Easter? That could be just as fun.
It is interesting that Easter dinners usually consist of funeral foods...Ham, funeral potatoes, etc.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 09:48 PM   #14
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
My wife just got off the phone with family and told me that her sister introduced a new Christmas tradition at the family gathering this year. She bought a white cake, had it decorated with "Happy Birthday Jesus!" and had the family sing "Happy Birthday" to Jesus. Sadly, my wife failed to ask if Jesus blew out all the candles on the first try.

Her sister says she's going to make this a new tradition for family Christmas gatherings. I guess centuries of beautiful music celebrating the birth of The Savior pale in comparison to a good round of "Happy Birthday" in setting the right tone for the holidays.

As we're going to be back in the U.S. for the next two years, and most likely spending holidays with my in-laws, I plan to bring hats, noise-makers, a pinata, and a magician next time. Nothing says Christmas like a pinata and a magician.
How many candles would you have to put on the cake?
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 10:21 PM   #15
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

In my mind, I keep picturing the kids adding in their little comments throughout the song: Happy Birthday to you (you live in zoo)...etc...man, if this idea ever saw the light of day around me, I would probably laugh my way thru the entire thing. That is awesome!
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 05:34 PM   #16
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road
Default for the right age it works

Quote:
My wife just got off the phone with family and told me that her sister introduced a new Christmas tradition at the family gathering this year. She bought a white cake, had it decorated with "Happy Birthday Jesus!" and had the family sing "Happy Birthday" to Jesus. Sadly, my wife failed to ask if Jesus blew out all the candles on the first try.
My sister-in-law did this for my niece when she was like 4-5 years old. For kids that age I think its a good way to demonstrate what Christmas is all about --otherwise its just Santa Claus and commercial stuff. At that age they know what birthdays are and that sort of thing, so it works. The cake was rather small and pretty plainly decorated. Now that my niece is older she no longer does the birthday cake thing.
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 05:49 PM   #17
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:

Her sister says she's going to make this a new tradition for family Christmas gatherings. I guess centuries of beautiful music celebrating the birth of The Savior pale in comparison to a good round of "Happy Birthday" in setting the right tone for the holidays.

As we're going to be back in the U.S. for the next two years, and most likely spending holidays with my in-laws, I plan to bring hats, noise-makers, a pinata, and a magician next time. Nothing says Christmas like a pinata and a magician.
This reminds me of the scene in Full Metal Jacket where the sargeant sings Happy Birthday to Jesus, and discuses how Jesus has a hard-on for Marines.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 06:57 AM   #18
Parrot Head

Parrot Head is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Does she have a southern accent? And does she shout "praise the lord" afterwards? No offense intended to any lingering baptists.
As a Southerner and a former Baptist, I take offense. Not really, but I can't see any good Southern Baptists doing this sort of craziness.

- Bronco, when asked how to describe PH
Parrot Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 04:32 PM   #19
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
This reminds me of the scene in Full Metal Jacket where the sargeant sings Happy Birthday to Jesus, and discuses how Jesus has a hard-on for Marines.
Great scene, here is the full quote:

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Today... is Christmas! There will be a magic show at zero-nine-thirty! Chaplain Charlie will tell you about how the free world will conquer Communism with the aid of God and a few marines! God has a hard-on for marines because we kill everything we see! He plays His games, we play ours! To show our appreciation for so much power, we keep heaven packed with fresh souls! God was here before the Marine Corps! So you can give your heart to Jesus, but your ass belongs to the Corps! Do you ladies understand?
Old 12-30-2006, 09:55 PM   #20
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
Great scene, here is the full quote:

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Today... is Christmas! There will be a magic show at zero-nine-thirty! Chaplain Charlie will tell you about how the free world will conquer Communism with the aid of God and a few marines! God has a hard-on for marines because we kill everything we see! He plays His games, we play ours! To show our appreciation for so much power, we keep heaven packed with fresh souls! God was here before the Marine Corps! So you can give your heart to Jesus, but your ass belongs to the Corps! Do you ladies understand?
I will one up you on this one, here is the actual clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zutuh0YCOqs
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote