cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2005, 11:01 AM   #1
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point
Default It would seem

that someone has successfully hacked utefans.net. According to webmonkey there had been over 2500 attempts to hack the server by Thursday. Now it is practically impossible to post there, as any attempt to respond to a post is automatically rerouted as an attempt to post a new message.

Theory has it that it is one of your fellow BYU fans wilth less than what one would consider integrity - the infamous xx97/glittergirl.

Have any of you folks been over to the other Y site and seen any posts bragging about taking down the Utes site?

It's a shame that no matter who it is, he/she thinks it's cute to do something like this. It really serves no purpose other than to prove that some peopleare so pathetic that they can only feel good about themselves by destroying something that isn't theirs.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 06:04 PM   #2
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

No one has bragged about doing it, but some are saying how funny it is. Included in them is one of cougarboards bigger jackasses IdaCoug.

Really this is pathetic whomever is doing this. It is sad that someone has the time to do this and cares enough to do it. The person is a small petty moron who deserves several kicks to the groin. On the other hand the person probably has been castrated so the groin attack would not hurt him.

Hacking a website is illegal and it is no different than if I went and found a BYU fans car, broke the windows, and keyed go Utes into it. Both are damage to another persons property that require time, money, and resources to fix. It is simply wrong.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 06:11 PM   #3
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

That is certainly lame.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 09:09 PM   #4
cougarstolz

cougarstolz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: It would seem

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute
Theory has it that it is one of your fellow BYU fans wilth less than what one would consider integrity - the infamous xx97/glittergirl.
so what's the infamous xx97/glittergirl story?
Old 12-02-2005, 12:38 AM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Default xx97 is a BYU fan who takes great pleasure in trolling

the Ute board. He has been ignored by more posters over there than any other poster and a trace of IP addresses have shown that he has multilple account, all of which have been ignored pretty much equally. Actually pretty impressive really...

Anyway, it came out that xx97 is also rather accomplished when it comes to all things computer/internet - which most always means that one is equally incompetent when it comes to social skills, dating, personal hygiene, etc - and after Webmonkey did what was necessar to keep xx97 (btw, glitter girl was one of the several e-mail accounts used by xx9) away from the board, there was an immediate attack on utfans server. The folks at Aros were able to determine that the attacks were coming from the same IP address as xx97 - he had maksed his IP rather well - but by the time it had been figured out what had happenedd, there had been over 2500 attacks on the server in less than 3 weeks. The attacker was finally able to access control of the board and began to edit posts of several members.

It's amazing that some people do the things they do for no other reason than they like one team and hate the other.

Hope that my comments make sense - I'm trying to write this, eat dinner and keep my three year old away from the keyboard at the same time.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:54 AM   #6
WaterCat

WaterCat
Default Also illegal?

Isn't it illegal as well?
WaterCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 04:11 AM   #7
Nobody Special

Nobody Special
Default Doesn't it make you yearn for the days of.......

MacPhisto annoying you. :lol: Atleast he was just annoying to you, I found him to be entertaining. But I don't think he ever did shut you down after one of your greatest victories in history. Thus making it imposssible to savor your good fortune.

It's too bad that the whole thing got so out of hand with him. I thought he had some form of a brain compared to the twelve year old trolls of today.

Go Cougars!
Nobody Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 01:11 AM   #8
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Default MacPhisto really got under many Ute fans' skin..

and he could be entertaining while doing so, I agree. I also don't think he'd attack a website over something so trivial as a football game.

My understanding is that Webmonkey is looking into the possibility of filing charges, unless it wouldn't be worth the time or effort to do so. It may very well not be worth it, but it would be fun to track down whomever was responsible and let him explain to some sort of legal type why he shouldn't be punished.

Either that, or I can have a few of my friends in Sicily pay him "a visit".

Old 12-03-2005, 01:31 AM   #9
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

There are several attorneys who frequent Utefans, and I know of at least one who has volunteered his time to get that jackass.

However I don't know what Monkey's case would be, I mean what damages he would show. It's not like he lost any revenue from the incident.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 01:43 AM   #10
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Default This is why I mentioned...

that it might not be worth the time or effort to pursue anything.