cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2008, 03:46 PM   #1
SCcoug

SCcoug is on a distinguished road
Default Packer's talk

I only caught part of Packer's talk and couldn't tell what it was about or what his point was. Anyone know?
SCcoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 03:46 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, I can only recall snippets from about two or three talks at most every conference.

The rest fade into the green fern morass behind the speakers. Packer's talk faded.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 04:26 PM   #3
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

His was the first talk during the first session, right? It was essentially "Joseph Smith, we will not forget you."
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 05:13 PM   #4
SCcoug

SCcoug is on a distinguished road

He talk was in the last session I believe.
SCcoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 05:16 PM   #5
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

I think Packer's losing it.

At the stake conference broadcast for all of Utah County a few weeks ago, Packer spoke without reading his talk off the teleprompter and it was straight out of the David B. Haight book.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 05:29 PM   #6
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I think Packer's losing it.

At the stake conference broadcast for all of Utah County a few weeks ago, Packer spoke without reading his talk off the teleprompter and it was straight out of the David B. Haight book.
Agreed. He was all over the map.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:33 PM   #7
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

President Monson began his talk by saying 2008 has been a year of change, and said in life there is only one constant, and that is that things change. I thought "here it comes, he's going to address gay marriage becoming legal and the economic crisis." But then he went into the old routine of telling one story after another: a widow in Europe who fell down; the plot to a popular musical; etc. In the end I wondered, what did that have to do with changes?
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 05:37 PM   #8
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
President Monson began his talk by saying 2008 has been a year of change, and said in life there is only one constant, and that is that things change. I thought "here it comes, he's going to address gay marriage becoming legal and the economic crisis." But then he went into the old routine of telling one story after another: a widow in Europe who fell down; the plot to a popular musical; etc. In the end I wondered, what did that have to do with changes?
I liked that talk and I felt like he was giving a mature perspective to the concept of change. Economic crisis or gay marriage becoming legal are small blips on the road compared to the big picture of change a person experiences in their life from youth to old age.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 05:38 PM   #9
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
President Monson spoke on change. Elder Uchtdorf spoke on hope.

I think we are seeing a tacit endorsement of the Obama campaign.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:46 PM   #10
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Sincerely,

Jack Handy