cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-29-2008, 06:55 PM   #141
Taq Man

Taq Man is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
The dishonesty doesn't bother you? Surely that should.
I guess we don't have all the facts. Perhaps he told them that he would only show to the hearing if they let him record it. Would they have let him record the hearing if he disclosed it? I doubt it. Doing it in secret is the only way the recording could have been made.

By the way the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department has made it grounds for immediate firing to secretly record a conversation with a fellow member of metro (especially the ones with your incompetent supervisor). So I guess there are other organizations besides the church who would be sensitive to your position.
Taq Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:59 PM   #142
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
How do we know he didn't get permission to record it?

What if he insisted? Would they then not allow him to be there?
Seems irrelevant since I doubt he asked, otherwise we would have been able to hear the SP much better. He recorded them unknowingly, after calling them his friends and wishing for good feelings with them.

His dishonesty doesn't bother you?

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 07:00 PM   #143
myboynoah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taq Man View Post
I guess we don't have all the facts. Perhaps he told them that he would only show to the hearing if they let him record it. Would they have let him record the hearing if he disclosed it? I doubt it. Doing it in secret is the only way the recording could have been made.

By the way the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department has made it grounds for immediate firing to secretly record a conversation with a fellow member of metro (especially the ones with your incompetent supervisor). So I guess there are other organizations besides the church who would be sensitive to your position.
You seem hesitant to answer the question. Why?

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:00 PM   #144
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
No, because that would require Mike to side with the church, albeit indirectly.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 07:03 PM   #145
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taq Man View Post

In california it is a crime to record anyone without their permission.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:04 PM   #146
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Seems irrelevant since I doubt he asked, otherwise we would have been able to hear the SP much better. He recorded them unknowingly, after calling them his friends and wishing for good feelings with them.

So you want to discuss the ethics of recording conversations? Let me know if you want to discuss this. Please briefly present your ideas on the subject, and I will respond. Please don't limit it to just excommunication hearings.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 07:04 PM   #147
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
In california it is a crime to record anyone without their permission.
except when the federal govt. conspires with telecom companies to record and sift through every conversation.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:07 PM   #148
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
except when the federal govt. conspires with telecom companies to record and sift through every conversation.
Quote:
Thirty-eight states and the District of Columbia permit individuals to record conversations to which they are a party without informing the other parties that they are doing so. These laws are referred to as "one-party consent" statutes, and as long as you are a party to the conversation, it is legal for you to record it. (Nevada also has a one-party consent statute, but the state Supreme Court has interpreted it as an all-party rule.)

Twelve states require, under most circumstances, the consent of all parties to a conversation. Those jurisdictions are California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Washington. Be aware that you will sometimes hear these referred to inaccurately as "two-party consent" laws. If there are more than two people involved in the conversation, all must consent to the taping.
http://www.rcfp.org/taping/intro.html

Legal, but unethical? Please explain if that is your belief.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:11 PM   #149
myboynoah

Quote:
So you want to discuss the ethics of recording conversations? Let me know if you want to discuss this. Please briefly present your ideas on the subject, and I will respond. Please don't limit it to just excommunication hearings.
Well, at least we can't accuse you of a lack of transparency.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:16 PM   #150
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

If brother Lamborn would have just followed the Kevin Bacon method of anger management, perhaps all of this could have been avoided. I can tell you that the day I learned about polyandry I drove my yellow VW bug down to an abandoned warehouse and danced my heart out.

SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote