cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2007, 07:54 PM   #21
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=jay santos;68884]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post

You are stretching to find fault and thus appear objective.

QUOTE]

The majority of the data points evaluating Bronco as a head coach his first 12 months were negative for me.

The majority (all?) of the data points I have evaluating Bronco as a head coach the last 12 months are positive.

My post doesn't reflect my stretch to be objective but the change I've had in him. Maybe it's me coming around to see that he was awesome the whole time. But I think there's some serious evidence to show he has improved significantly.
I think there is a human element and I think recognizing where the program was and at what point he was starting as a head coach, not to mention his offensive coordinator, is prudent when evaluating the 2005 season.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:55 PM   #22
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
So all those LDS guys grabbed by Utah and the Pac 10 that year sucked? We were very fortunate to pick up Dulan, but I don't think anyone including our coaching staff would have passed on most of the DL in that list for him.

Bronco was not giving off the vibe yet to recruits that he was as serious about football as he was the Honor Code. Props to him for changing his tone.
Where did I say those players sucked? I said it's simply not rational or logical to expect Bronco to pick up every single highly rated or otherwise LDS recruit. I also said that stars aren't always a very accurate indicator. If a 3 star player commits to a BCS school like USC...amazingly his star goes up one. The star rating is hardly an objective way in which to measure things. There are 25 scholies available sometimes...not 40.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:59 PM   #23
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Where did I say they sucked? I said it's simply not rational or logical to expect Bronco to pick up every single highly rated or otherwise LDS recruit. I also said that stars aren't always a very accurate indicator. If a 3 star player commits to a BCS school like USC...amazingly his star goes up one. The star rating is hardly an objective way in which to measure things.
The issue with only using the LDS metric is that the players are so concentrated in OL/DL. If Bronco recruits the top 25 mormons every year, regardless of position, BYU will have 290 lb linebackers.

This is why losing Stanley Havili hurt bad. It is also why losing some of the kids Jay referenced in the trenches, in the immortal words of the hottest mother in a G-string who once lamented about the paucity of male snorkel blowing out her past weekend: "ain't no big thing."
Old 03-30-2007, 08:00 PM   #24
RockyBalboa

Quote:
The issue with only using the LDS metric is that the players are so concentrated in OL/DL. If Bronco recruits the top 25 mormons every year, regardless of position, BYU will have 290 lb linebackers.

This is why losing Stanley Havili hurt bad. It is also why losing some of the kids Jay referenced in the trenches, in the immortal words of the hottest mother in a G-string who once lamented about the paucity of male snorkel blowing out her past weekend: "ain't no big thing."
I agree that losing some of these kids isn't good, but we just simply aren't going to get every single one no matter how bad we want to.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:04 PM   #25
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
I agree that losing some of these kids isn't good, but we just simply aren't going to get every single one no matter how bad we want to.
My point is other than Fua and Havili, I am not sure BYU really missed anyone. BYU attracted a glut of capable kids on both OL and DL in 2006.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:05 PM   #26
RockyBalboa

Quote:
My point is other than Fua and Havili, I am not sure BYU really missed anyone. BYU attracted a glut of capable kids on both OL and DL in 2006.
Defintely agree with you there.

BYU is now so loaded at the O-line, it would not surprise me to see a couple of really talented kids transfer elsewhere in the next few years to see some playing time.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:07 PM   #27
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Measuring our recruiting classes by who we didn't land is a grossly flawed metric, IMO. The way you measure the quality of a recruiting class is

1. The % of players that produced and how much did they produce
2. Did it help provide the proper amount of positional and class balance to the program
3. How good was the team when they were upperclassmen (maybe that's just #1 being restated)

Several of the Bronco recruits have already produced, but at the current time, it's too early to definitively weigh in on 2005 and 2006, as the holdovers from the previous regime were very productive as upperclassmen in those years.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 10:20 PM   #28
Insensitive PAP

Insensitive PAP
Default It's a pretty easy answer to find

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
So all those LDS guys grabbed by Utah and the Pac 10 that year sucked? We were very fortunate to pick up Dulan, but I don't think anyone including our coaching staff would have passed on most of the DL in that list for him.

Bronco was not giving off the vibe yet to recruits that he was as serious about football as he was the Honor Code. Props to him for changing his tone.
Compare the PT of our recruits versus the PT of the recruits we "didn't get". Compare the quality of the teams the young players played on. Compare production. To say the recruiting classes were not good after seeing a significant number of them actually play and contribute on a very good team is asinine.
Insensitive PAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 10:51 PM   #29
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insensitive PAP View Post
Compare the PT of our recruits versus the PT of the recruits we "didn't get". Compare the quality of the teams the young players played on. Compare production. To say the recruiting classes were not good after seeing a significant number of them actually play and contribute on a very good team is asinine.
K, you were the guy who said pre-2002 that 2001 would go down as the worst year of the Crowton era. So I'll take your commentary for what it's worth. Pipe up when you have something to say about UNLV's back up QB. Until then, run along.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 12:33 AM   #30
Insensitive PAP

Insensitive PAP
Default Yeah who's the bigger moron. . .

the one who gets the future wrong, or the one that gets the past wrong.
Insensitive PAP is offline   Reply With Quote