cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2008, 04:01 PM   #51
T Blue

T Blue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
No wonder missionary work is slowing. For each person we bring into the fold, a large number of members are dedicating their time to kicking someone else out of the fold. Makes it tough.
The funny part is that I am not doing any sort of thing, Waters has shown himself the door with his anti LDS rhetoric.

If you don't agree with something, fine, don't agree, but to question EVERY item that comes from SLC is a bit much. And to write about the "old men in SLC" handing out their version of things, questioning if it is revelation, or just something those "old timers" have come up with, well makes you wonder how fully invested someone truly is?

I too have friends who are now members of other churches; Baptists, Catholics, Methodists, and they feel great there. They are receiving the fellowship they desire without having to toe the line of Mormonism, its a win win situation.

I say go where you are comfortable, you will end up there in the long run eventually, as when we die we will go and fit in where we are most comfortable.
T Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:05 PM   #52
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Blue View Post
The funny part is that I am not doing any sort of thing, Waters has shown himself the door with his anti LDS rhetoric.

If you don't agree with something, fine, don't agree, but to question EVERY item that comes from SLC is a bit much. And to write about the "old men in SLC" handing out their version of things, questioning if it is revelation, or just something those "old timers" have come up with, well makes you wonder how fully invested someone truly is?

I too have friends who are now members of other churches; Baptists, Catholics, Methodists, and they feel great there. They are receiving the fellowship they desire without having to toe the line of Mormonism, its a win win situation.

I say go where you are comfortable, you will end up there in the long run eventually, as when we die we will go and fit in where we are most comfortable.
Someone like Waters should be happy to leave he LDS Church to people such as you. Are you the archetype of the mainstream? I think your rhetoric is a little hard, but I think you do represent the dominant viewpoint.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:08 PM   #53
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Someone like Waters should be happy to leave he LDS Church to people such as you. Are you the archetype of the mainstream? I think your rhetoric is a little hard, but I think you do represent the dominant viewpoint.
That means he likes you, T-Blue. He likes you a lot. Your presence is very validating.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:19 PM   #54
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
That means he likes you, T-Blue. He likes you a lot. Your presence is very validating.
Do you think it doesn't pain me that the religion of my youth and ancestors (seven generations back!) is such a miasma of impoverished art, darkly archaic values, and false pride?

—Paul Auster
Old 08-19-2008, 04:35 PM   #55
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
Does nobody else love that Waters, while decrying the lack of poetry and artistry in the Church, waxes poetic himself? Or that SU, agreeing with Waters, stresses the importance of the religious arts with his own lyrical beauty? Hark, there are poets among us to lead us from the sterility of modern worship!

Whatever. I never really liked poetry. I have a fence to mend.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:35 PM   #56
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Do you think it doesn't pain me that the religion of my youth and ancestors (seven generations back!) is such a miasma of impoverished art, darkly archaic values, and false pride?

No. I think it actually energizes you and gives you some portion of your raison d'etre.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:41 PM   #57
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
creek's got it right, you revel in it, it drunkens you, a euphoric feeling of warmth and peace. It is your narcotic. You lament that Tex hasn't "hooked you up" as much lately.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:50 PM   #58
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Blue View Post

Ever since I wrote the "old men" comment to BDB, it has been getting a lot of run both here and on CB. Exie even wrote a PM to HuskyFreeNorthwest and was complaining about it.

The thing I dont get....aren't they old men?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 05:48 PM   #59
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
creek's got it right, you revel in it, it drunkens you, a euphoric feeling of warmth and peace. It is your narcotic. You lament that Tex hasn't "hooked you up" as much lately.
I'm here to help folks.

—Paul Auster
Old 08-19-2008, 06:29 PM   #60
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Don't be coy. It fills you with glee.