cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2008, 09:13 PM   #1
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I have a job interview tonight

Times are a bit lean in the appraisal industry right now. My wife has informed me that there will be no more road races, running shoes, running gadgets, etc. paid for out of the family budget until further notice. Of course, she's right, but I still have a habit to support. So I put in an application with UPS to go work with all the other derelicts unloading trucks in the wee hours. I haven't had a job interview in 15 years, and it's been longer than that since I did manual labor. Guess we'll see how it goes. I wore a polo shirt and pants with no holes in them, so I figure I'm a shoe-in.

On the plus side, if I do get it, they'll pay for dental and vision insurance, which I don't have. That would be nice.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:18 PM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck to you.

I know a few folks who work at UPS as a second job to get the same benefits. One thing about which they all agree unanimously is that they work their hineys off for those benefits. Nothing wrong with hard work though. It builds character.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:29 PM   #3
Runner Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Good luck to you.

I know a few folks who work at UPS as a second job to get the same benefits. One thing about which they all agree unanimously is that they work their hineys off for those benefits. Nothing wrong with hard work though. It builds character.
There's no way in hell I would work for what they pay unless they sweetened the pot. They also have a 401k plan I could buy into, which would benefit me, since our little company doesn't do anything like that. I figure I'll keep a bit to pay for my running wants, and throw the rest into that.

I'm up until 3 am just watching TV anyway, I figure I may as well be productive. It'll be a good workout if nothing else.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:54 PM   #4
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner Coug View Post
I'm up until 3 am just watching TV anyway,
Go to bed. I don't know how you do that.

And good luck.
bigpiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:22 PM   #5
Mrs. Funk

Mrs. Funk is on a distinguished road

I'm trying to find part-time work right now and UPS isn't sounding so bad at this point. I worked for FedEx during college on the morning sort. Eventually, you sort of get used to only 4 hours of sleep.
Mrs. Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:38 PM   #6
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Funk View Post
I'm trying to find part-time work right now and UPS isn't sounding so bad at this point. I worked for FedEx during college on the morning sort. Eventually, you sort of get used to only 4 hours of sleep.
I'm hiring a Data Processor - part time in the afternoons. Pay is $10.50 an hour but there are only minimal benefits. Of course, you don't have to throw boxes around - you get to sit in a nice comfy air-conditioned office and import data into databases and burn DVDs.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 01:20 AM   #7
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Times are a bit lean in the appraisal industry right now.
I would have thought the opposite with all the foreclosures. Doesen't the bank get an appraisal when the take it back? Or is it just when they re-sell it?
Old 07-23-2008, 02:06 AM   #8
Runner Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
I would have thought the opposite with all the foreclosures. Doesen't the bank get an appraisal when the take it back? Or is it just when they re-sell it?
Yeah, but the purchases and refis have dried up, and the foreclosures don't make up the difference. Our business is down about 60%. Which is fine...I knew the risks when I got into it. You just have to be ready to ride out the storms when they hit.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:10 AM   #9
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Yeah, but the purchases and refis have dried up, and the foreclosures don't make up the difference. Our business is down about 60%. Which is fine...I knew the risks when I got into it. You just have to be ready to ride out the storms when they hit.
I guess that's not too surprsing. Pretty much every industry connected with Real Estate has taken a hit.