cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion

Old 10-03-2016, 11:50 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Videos of the Q12 leaked

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...-apostles.html
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 03:15 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

http://kutv.com/news/local/watch-lea...lds-leadership
Old 10-03-2016, 07:32 PM   #3
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Do they sound like gods?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 02:12 AM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I've watched a little of the videotapes, not very much.

My takeaways:

1. All men that I have seen so far. Where are the women?
2. Seems like all the discussion comes from politically conservative standpoint. But we have to consider that the "curator" of this collection may have selected these clips purely on that basis.
3. Gerrit Gong seems to be a go-to guy. Kind of funny. He's a family acquaintance (I don't personally know him at all). State department guy, and then he does all these presentations, and then he becomes a Seventy. He was and is in the circle of trust.
4. Church meetings are boring at every level of the church.
5. One wonders how the presenters and speakers get selected. Imagine how much influence that is, to determine who is making presentations and what they will present.
6. I hope we get to learn more about what sort of diversity there is in viewpoints that are presented to the church leaders.

In other words, these videos are about as exactly as one would expect.
Old 10-04-2016, 02:57 AM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I'm halfway through this video, but I read that Julie Beck was included in this meeting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBH045ooaY0

It does confirm what we have known and suspected. That inactivity rates among young adults are very high.

Also Renlund presents in this vid. and of course we know that he was later announced as an apostle.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:45 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

a little disappointed that they didn't point to the thing I have observed. That kids who are not on track academically are much less likely to stay active in the church and go on missions.

We spend all these resources on scouting and YW activities, but very little on academic guidance. I look at all the boys that I had a role in mentoring when I was in YM. Very few of them are college graduates. The ones who are still active are the ones who went to college. Two of the RMs that struggled academically, one is inactive and the other is dead.

Of course, a lot of this has to do with parenting. The kids that you would expect to go on missions because of their families, they are the ones that typically go on missions.

One boy defied expectations. Went on a mission, graduated from BYU, married in the temple. Very much overcame "the odds". He's the best success story.
Old 10-04-2016, 05:06 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

This AP article is now on Drudge.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/e3836...-mormon-church
Old 10-04-2016, 05:14 PM   #8
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Seems like a boring video.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 05:19 PM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

A little bit about the circumstances of the leak:

http://www.sltrib.com/news/4428322-1...-leaked-videos

what is interesting is when there is actually disagreement in the quorum. There is no insight into this in these videos.

In the young single adult video above, it's kinda like Packer is trying to tell the Seventies to go back and redo everything but this time focus on the "family." I really didn't understand what he was saying. This was politely deflected.

One wonders what it would be like to be a junior apostle and disagree with Packer.

I also wonder how insular their world is. Like a corporate culture that only promotes from within. There is some value in only calling those whom you know well, that have proven themselves in lesser callings. But the risk is that you never get any new ideas, and you end up "promoting" only the most obsequious.

We have a lot of dynamic Mormons in the world. I wonder how much influence some of these people have compared to ones that are merely entrenched in the local scene.

Gerrit Gong was a Rhodes scholar and fairly well placed in the State Dept, I believe. He's no dummy.
Old 10-05-2016, 02:34 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Interesting how bycommonconsent punted on these videos. Merely called them "boring".

Potentially these videos do hurt future Mormon candidates for national office due to former Senator Smith, who made it clear that he made decisions impacting the welfare of our men and women in the military based on considerations of the LDS church.