cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion

Old 06-27-2016, 03:13 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Joseph Smith's defining work and revelation

Is the Book of Mormon? Doubtful, because it seems like he never returned to the BoM in any meaningful way. He never once quoted from it. Which is the most bizarre fact imaginable.

What about the Doctrine and Covenants? A good argument could be made for that.

But I would make the argument that it is actually the Pearl of Great Price, and more specifically the inspired translation of the Bible. This is the work that he returned to over and over, and was working on up until his death.

Quite possibly, Moses chapter 1 contains the most important and revealing doctrines ever recorded, if you believe them. It puts the entire Universe in context.

Yet here we are in 2016, with no meaningful access to the Inspired Version, virtually no teaching from it. It's merely known to mainstream Mormons as a few footnotes in their standard works. Shameful. That has to change.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 03:46 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Is the Book of Mormon? Doubtful, because it seems like he never returned to the BoM in any meaningful way. He never once quoted from it. Which is the most bizarre fact imaginable.

What about the Doctrine and Covenants? A good argument could be made for that.

But I would make the argument that it is actually the Pearl of Great Price, and more specifically the inspired translation of the Bible. This is the work that he returned to over and over, and was working on up until his death.

Quite possibly, Moses chapter 1 contains the most important and revealing doctrines ever recorded, if you believe them. It puts the entire Universe in context.

Yet here we are in 2016, with no meaningful access to the Inspired Version, virtually no teaching from it. It's merely known to mainstream Mormons as a few footnotes in their standard works. Shameful. That has to change.

It won't happen. Modern Mormondom does not believe in the charismatic or inspired aspects of JS.

Notice mysticism has been virtually excised from Mormondom. There is little talk of healings, patriarchal blessings or inspiration. We ignore his polyandrystic tendencies and use a sanitized, corporatized version of his history. A return to personal revelation outside of the realm of the corporate bureaucrat won't happen.
Old 06-28-2016, 03:23 AM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't believe that. Eventually the feminine divine will transform the church. It may require the death of many leaders first (through the natural passing of time), but eventually it will come.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 02:58 PM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I don't believe that. Eventually the feminine divine will transform the church. It may require the death of many leaders first (through the natural passing of time), but eventually it will come.
Here's hoping you're correct, but I'm skeptical. The female leaders selected by the male leaders seem more strident than some of the male leaders themselves. There is a lot of talent being left on the bench for many generations. The Church needs a revival, but are the leaders humble enough to sense where to start it?
Old 06-28-2016, 07:20 PM   #5
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

I love the Pearl of Great Price. I recognize how distinctly LDS it is and different than what anyone else has. The Book of Mormon is our scripture, but regardless of the story, the doctrines in it really aren't that much different, if any, from mainstream Christianity. But the PofGP is as uniquely "LDS" as it gets and I love it.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 07:54 PM   #6
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Never is an overstatement. See: lectures on faith but yeah, it's weird.

Last edited by ChinoCoug; 06-28-2016 at 08:05 PM.
ChinoCoug is offline   Reply With Quote