cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food

Old 11-08-2008, 03:23 AM   #11
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Forgive my cultural ignorance (as well as my general overall ignorance on a daily basis)....but for our resident Asians....or resident RMs that served in Asian cultures....how do the masters do it?

Is it more common to simply toss it in a rice cooker or boil it on a stove?
Rice cookers are standard for families in Taiwan. IMO, it has little to do with flavor or texture and more to do with convenience.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 11:15 AM   #12
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

Everyone in Hong Kong had a rice cooker, which was used multiple times during the day. I don't ever remember rice being cooked on a stove-top.

Partly this is for convenience, and poartly because of the stove situation. People didn't have big, 4-6 burner ranges like we have. Most people had 2 or 1 burners, so there wasn't room for rice.

Also, I don't know if this is a factor or not, but the burners were high-intensity, they got much hotter than the typical US stove, which is needed if you really want to do your stir frying correctly. It may be harder to control the low temperatures needed for rice on these burners. Or maybe not. This is my biggest complaint about cooking Chinese food here in the US. I just can't get the wok hot enough.

I almost always use a rice cooker for the same reasons, convenience, and because I need the stove for other things.
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 07:32 PM   #13
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
Everyone in Hong Kong had a rice cooker, which was used multiple times during the day. I don't ever remember rice being cooked on a stove-top.

Partly this is for convenience, and poartly because of the stove situation. People didn't have big, 4-6 burner ranges like we have. Most people had 2 or 1 burners, so there wasn't room for rice.

Also, I don't know if this is a factor or not, but the burners were high-intensity, they got much hotter than the typical US stove, which is needed if you really want to do your stir frying correctly. It may be harder to control the low temperatures needed for rice on these burners. Or maybe not. This is my biggest complaint about cooking Chinese food here in the US. I just can't get the wok hot enough.

I almost always use a rice cooker for the same reasons, convenience, and because I need the stove for other things.
This makes some sense, although I'm not sure I've ever needed all four burners plus one to cook rice on. Question for everyone--how is it more convenient? Don't you still have to measure out everything?

Anyway, don't want to beat a dead horse...I'm just curious. One of my former roommates was the one who had a rice cooker, but it was a pain in the rear to clean, so we ended up just cooking on the stove. Which made me wonder--why the rice cooker?

While we're on the subject of Asian cooking--I'm in the market for a new wok. Any recommendations?

While on the subject
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 07:41 PM   #14
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
This makes some sense, although I'm not sure I've ever needed all four burners plus one to cook rice on. Question for everyone--how is it more convenient? Don't you still have to measure out everything?

Anyway, don't want to beat a dead horse...I'm just curious. One of my former roommates was the one who had a rice cooker, but it was a pain in the rear to clean, so we ended up just cooking on the stove. Which made me wonder--why the rice cooker?

While we're on the subject of Asian cooking--I'm in the market for a new wok. Any recommendations?

While on the subject
Well, like a crockpot, you can throw in the rice and water and leave and it'll stay warm and be ready for you. You can't do that on the stove.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:25 PM   #15
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I have a cheap wok I bought from the local Asian market. I prefer the iron-steel wok over the carbonized steel. Season and maintain it well and it will last forever.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 08:58 PM   #16
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

[quote=ERCougar;292372]Anyway, don't want to beat a dead horse...I'm just curious. One of my former roommates was the one who had a rice cooker, but it was a pain in the rear to clean, so we ended up just cooking on the stove. Which made me wonder--why the rice cooker?[quote]

How was it difficult? With every rice cooker I've seen, including the two I own, the nonstick cooking vessel comes out and can be popped into the dishwasher.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 09:45 PM   #17
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=myboynoah;292382][quote=ERCougar;292372]Anyway, don't want to beat a dead horse...I'm just curious. One of my former roommates was the one who had a rice cooker, but it was a pain in the rear to clean, so we ended up just cooking on the stove. Which made me wonder--why the rice cooker?
Quote:

How was it difficult? With every rice cooker I've seen, including the two I own, the nonstick cooking vessel comes out and can be popped into the dishwasher.
It didn't have a non-stick coating and we didn't have a dishwasher. It did detach but the rice (or at least that starchy residue) seemed to stick really badly--definitely worse than the saucepan.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 10:54 PM   #18
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

Quote:
This makes some sense, although I'm not sure I've ever needed all four burners plus one to cook rice on.
The wok's so big that you only have two others. When I make Chinese food, I make a LOT of Chinese food. Generally 5 to 7 dishes.
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 11:05 PM   #19
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
It didn't have a non-stick coating and we didn't have a dishwasher. It did detach but the rice (or at least that starchy residue) seemed to stick really badly--definitely worse than the saucepan.
Odd. They needed to invest in new technology.

A friend in Japan bragged that she had a gas rice cooker. She said it cooked the rice much better than electric. My barbarian taste buds couldn't tell the difference.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 11:10 PM   #20
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Odd. They needed to invest in new technology.

A friend in Japan bragged that she had a gas rice cooker. She said it cooked the rice much better than electric. My barbarian taste buds couldn't tell the difference.
Is there nothing better to do in New Dehli than ponder rice cookers on cougarguard?