cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2006, 07:12 PM   #11
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
but there aren't enough people looking to adopt infants -- especially non-white infants -- to account for that number of unwanted pregnancies.
Based on.... what? Oh, and nice implication that most white Americans are racist, by the way.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 07:18 PM   #12
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo
Quote:
but there aren't enough people looking to adopt infants -- especially non-white infants -- to account for that number of unwanted pregnancies.
Based on.... what? Oh, and nice implication that most white Americans are racist, by the way.
I am not implying that most white Americans are racist. There is a disproporionate number of black children born out of wedlock. Adoption is an expensive proposition, and a disproportionate number of people able to adopt are white. White people prefer to adopt white children, resulting in a supply/demand dynamic that makes it much more difficult to place a black child up for adoption.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 07:20 PM   #13
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo
I'm guessing you could base it on the fact that supply is greater than demand? Also, I think his saying "especially non-white babies" could be backed up by the numbers fairly easily.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 07:34 PM   #14
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Re: Since I'm banned on CB I couldn't respond to this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte
... there's been a drastic decline in teen pregnancy.... This can only be due to education.
That's quite a bold statement. Of course, homeruns were up drastically since the early 90s and that can only be due to improved hitting fundamentals.
Uh, what explanation do you have other than increased awareness among a historically undereduated people of the consequences of teen pregnancy, and better understanding of how to avoid teen pregnancy?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 07:46 PM   #15
DirtyHippieUTE

DirtyHippieUTE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
... there's been a drastic decline in teen pregnancy.... This can only be due to education.
That's quite a bold statement. Of course, homeruns were up drastically since the early 90s and that can only be due to improved hitting fundamentals.
Uh, what explanation do you have other than increased awareness among a historically undereduated people of the consequences of teen pregnancy, and better understanding of how to avoid teen pregnancy?
There are fewer teens from that "historically undereducated" group of people... 12 years ago, that segment of the population started having abortions. The teen pregnancy rate will continue to decrease as we move along. Eventually an entire segment of the population will kill themselves off by terminating their offspring. :P

I figure this will solve a lot of problems.

1- Teenage pregnancy. If uneducated teens don't raise more uneducated teens, the pregnancy rate will go down.

2- Illiteracy. As the uneducated birthrate decreases, the literacy rate will increase (since more educated people are having children than uneducated)

3- Unemployment. Several statistics show that your level of education is a good marker for your level of employment. As a generation of uneducated people are killed off, the unemployment rate will go down.

4- Health Care. Apparently one of the big problems in health care is the lack of available health insurance. Better jobs have better healthcare. Since unemployment is dropping, more people are employed. Ergo, more people have health insurance.

5- Abortion. Since more people will have healthcare, more women will be able to get birth control pills. If more women are on the pill, there will be fewer unwanted pregnancies. Fewer unwanted buns in the oven = fewer abortions.

Why didn't we think of this before?!

I have this other idea... It's called Soylent Green. Remind me to tell you about it.
DirtyHippieUTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 08:00 PM   #16
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyHippieUTE
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
There are fewer teens from that "historically undereducated" group of people... 12 years ago, that segment of the population started having abortions. The teen pregnancy rate will continue to decrease as we move along. Eventually an entire segment of the population will kill themselves off by terminating their offspring. :P

I figure this will solve a lot of problems.

1- Teenage pregnancy. If uneducated teens don't raise more uneducated teens, the pregnancy rate will go down.

2- Illiteracy. As the uneducated birthrate decreases, the literacy rate will increase (since more educated people are having children than uneducated)

3- Unemployment. Several statistics show that your level of education is a good marker for your level of employment. As a generation of uneducated people are killed off, the unemployment rate will go down.

4- Health Care. Apparently one of the big problems in health care is the lack of available health insurance. Better jobs have better healthcare. Since unemployment is dropping, more people are employed. Ergo, more people have health insurance.

5- Abortion. Since more people will have healthcare, more women will be able to get birth control pills. If more women are on the pill, there will be fewer unwanted pregnancies. Fewer unwanted buns in the oven = fewer abortions.

Why didn't we think of this before?!

I have this other idea... It's called Soylent Green. Remind me to tell you about it.
Silly jumping to conclusions. That segment of society's birth rate still far exceeds that of Western Europe or upper middle class United States. Wishful thinking on your part?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote