cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2008, 08:28 PM   #11
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I thought they tied it up with that handwritten note that was frame. "I'm still in, if you are."
Yup. She gave the baby to Jennifer Garner's character notwithstanding the split.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:35 PM   #12
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

I was bored with it, Juno is like the female Napoleon Dynamite.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:37 PM   #13
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I haven't seen it but based on trailers I saw in a hotel recently I was disturbed by the glamorizing of teen pregnancy. Maybe the whole actual movie is different. I rarely if ever disapprove of films or art in general because of the content but I didn't like that. Teen pregnancy is one of our worst societal ills and girls bear the brunt of it. I hope it never happens to any of my children but I'm not out of the woods with any of them yet.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 08:39 PM   #14
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I haven't seen it but based on trailers I saw in a hotel recently I was disturbed by the glamorizing of teen pregnancy. Maybe the whole actual movie is different. I rarely if ever disapprove of films or art in general because of the content but I didn't like that. Teen pregnancy is one of our worst societal ills and girls bear the brunt of it. I hope it never happens to any of my children but I'm not out of the woods with any of them yet.
No, the children of those girls bear the brunt of it.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:48 PM   #15
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Coming from the guy that takes his kids to cemetaries for fun.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:28 PM   #16
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
No, the children of those girls bear the brunt of it.
Agreed.

The teenage mothers are partly to blame for getting in that situation. The baby did nothing to deserve it.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:35 PM   #17
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Agreed.

The teenage mothers are partly to blame for getting in that situation. The baby did nothing to deserve it.
It's not a question of blame, but correctly depicting the situation. Seattle likes to depict himself as the defender of feminism and women's rights, thereby traditionally standing in to speak up for helpless females. It sounds almost as if he's auditioning to get laid.

In reality, those bearing the biggest brunt are the children who have almost no chance of making it, unless the extended family assist the mother. All of us have seen these mothers, and the grandparents also bear a large part of the headaches, and the girls do as well, with the boys bearing it to a lesser extent.

Teenage pregnancy is the foremost social argument against teenage sex. There is no social benefit to teenage sex, even though we know it happens frequently and pervasively.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:37 PM   #18
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

SU being offended by "Juno" casts him in a new, and even more unflattering, light.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:41 PM   #19
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
It's not a question of blame, but correctly depicting the situation. Seattle likes to depict himself as the defender of feminism and women's rights, thereby traditionally standing in to speak up for helpless females. It sounds almost as if he's auditioning to get laid.

In reality, those bearing the biggest brunt are the children who have almost no chance of making it, unless the extended family assist the mother. All of us have seen these mothers, and the grandparents also bear a large part of the headaches, and the girls do as well, with the boys bearing it to a lesser extent.

Teenage pregnancy is the foremost social argument against teenage sex. There is no social benefit to teenage sex, even though we know it happens frequently and pervasively.
Agreed 100%.

This is why I think abstinence should be what is pounded into teens' heads, rather than safe sex. Teach both, but shift the focus to abstinence.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:42 PM   #20
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

we had a non-mormon doc come and talk to us in junior high. He said "how many of you want your future wives to have had sex with lots of different guys?" No hands. "Then maybe there is an advantage to abstinence."

He knew how to relate to male minds.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote