cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2007, 02:54 PM   #1
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road
Default Holmoe interview on 1320 KFAN

Heard it on my way into work this morning. I'll try to summarize what I heard:

Spoke a lot about the TV deal:
*Said the first year BYU was okay being patient with the conference, after seeing what happened (or didn't happen) the first year, BYU can't sit idly by.

*Said the lawyer hired on by BYU and Utah, and that is now representing the conference is working on a few things. 1) Finding ways to help get the distribution and 2) Options for getting out of the deal/other options. Listening to Holmoe I got the impression that he was working on #1 for the conference and #2 was more geared towards BYU and Utah.

*Said he is particularly upset about the situation in St. George; Vegas 2 hours away, SLC 5 hours and they can't get the mtn? Very frustrated about that, let alone fans along the Wasatch front that can't get it.

*Said that he felt like Comcast might have used the first year to get exclusivity and gain subscribers, but that as a business model that doesn't make sense for them to continue to do that. Said they need the $$$ from subscribers as well as advertising money in the future.

*Talked about the Big 10 Network and their struggles in getting on cable. Felt like if the Big 10 is having struggles it isn't a surprise the mtn is struggling as well, but felt like this is the best option.

*Discussed the old TV deal and bad start times for Basketball, Football as well as the money from "the old network" was going down. Essentially he said that the money was getting worse, and the times were getting worse, so they had to do something. Said it isn't fair to the players and the fans to have to cater to those times. Saturday basketball and Football on Saturday at a good time is important.

*Said that getting on satellites is a priority, esp. for BYU and Utah, but more esp. for BYU because of the extended national following of graduates and LDS fans. Made particular mention of hundreds of fans in West Virginia... not sure I was proud and wanted to claim them, but I guess you take your fans wherever they are at.

Spoke a bit about Bronco's extension:
*Said that after Bronco's first year he felt like he was going in the right direction and approached the admin about an extension for Bronco if his 2nd season he continued to show well.

*Said when they brought up the idea of an extension for Bronco there were a few things that Bronco wanted if he were to get an extension. DJ asked if they were things for Bronco or things for the program, and Holmoe clarified they were things for the program. I don't remember if he said Bronco is fully invested in the program or not.

Nothing ground breaking, but it was a decent interview.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 02:57 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Wait, it is the best option for the premiere games of the MWC to be in the same boat as the sucky who-cares-about games of the Big10 (Indiana vs. Kentucky)?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:09 PM   #3
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Wait, it is the best option for the premiere games of the MWC to be in the same boat as the sucky who-cares-about games of the Big10 (Indiana vs. Kentucky)?
What do you think the best option for BYU is?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:20 PM   #4
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

The situation with the Mtn. isn't good. On the other hand I think it is a heck of a lot better than what we had.

I think the whining and moaning is good in order to keep those in charge working hard to improve things. However, under my breath I congratulate all involved for making the situation better and working to improve it.

I am so happy to hear things are coming around to position the football team for moving to a "higher level". As I said over and over again, much to the dismay of some posters, it is all about winning.

After that everything falls into place.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:32 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
What do you think the best option for BYU is?
to never again sign a contract that lacks enforced distribution.

Distribution has to be in place first.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:33 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
The situation with the Mtn. isn't good. On the other hand I think it is a heck of a lot better than what we had.

I think the whining and moaning is good in order to keep those in charge working hard to improve things. However, under my breath I congratulate all involved for making the situation better and working to improve it.

I am so happy to hear things are coming around to position the football team for moving to a "higher level". As I said over and over again, much to the dismay of some posters, it is all about winning.

After that everything falls into place.
Fans who can't watch the winning aren't happy.

Some of us have even resorted to breaking the law (according to Jefe) to watch the wins.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:37 PM   #7
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Fans who can't watch the winning aren't happy.

Some of us have even resorted to breaking the law (according to Jefe) to watch the wins.
I don't blame you for being unhappy. I can watch all the games and yet I am unhappy too. I am unhappy that everyone can't see the games and I can't go golfing in St. George during an away game.

I am less unhappy in the current situation over the past one. I look forward to being happier.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 04:49 PM   #8
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I am unhappy that ... I can't go golfing in St. George during an away game.
Man, I knew it was rough, but I had no idea it was this bad. You poor, poor man.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 04:59 PM   #9
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I heard the part when he was asked about the future scheduling strategy.

I'll try to summarize it best that I remember:

---- Scheduling is more difficult than ever. It used to be that you'd schedule many years in advance, where now, with the BCS, most programs are trying to schedule about 3 years in advance. Taking a look at their teams and how good they'll be and scheduling accordingly, so that they can maximize their chances of a BCS run. This is especially important for Non-BCS conference teams.

---- Notre Dame is NOT on the schedule in the future. I've spoke with their Athletic Director Kevin White several times and while we'd like to get something done and we're both open to it,,,,if we scheduled them now it literally might not be until 2020 because of how far out they schedule. The new series they just signed with Michigan that goes out til' 2031 is a prime example. Glen Tuckett was able to negotiate both 2 for 1 series we had with them and we'd do that again in a heartbeat. It was a great experience for our fans to play a storied program like that 6 times in the past 15 years or so. So there's a chance we'll play them again, but if we do and you see a press release about it...don't get too excited because it won't be for a VERY long time.

---- Traveling back east is becoming more and more difficult logistically and financially, that's why you see us and Utah having 2 PAC-10 teams on our schedule nearly every year out for the next several years, with an exception here and there.

---- We do have Arizona State, Florida State and Washington on future schedules.

That's all I can remember.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:10 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

why is it becoming more difficult financially to play anyone other than the Pac 10?

Price of gas?