cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2007, 03:39 PM   #11
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know about his academic ability, but it is nonsense. Yes, any good recruit that both BYU and Utah wanted that ended up going to Utah must have done so because they were so scared of the tough BYU academics. Seriously, that is funny stuff. I don't know any 18 year old kid that doesn't think he would do fine in school if he had a tutor or help which both schools would provide.

So, now if a kid doesn't go to BYU and chooses Utah instead, we have several options to pick from:

*Scared of going to one of the most brilliant academic schools in the world.
*Not smart enough to get in to one of the most brilliant academic schools in the world.
*Not spiritual enough or he denied the earlier confirmations of the holy ghost
*Bronco is too tough and fair for some players to want to go to BYU.
*They can't handle the amazing legacy which is BYU football

FWIW, I really don't care much about the recruits until I see them on the field. There have been some amazing Ute football players (Weddle, A.Smith, etc.) which were recruit afterthoughts...while other highly touted players did nothing (Poston comes to mind, unless he somehow changes that perception). One of the biggest hoops recruits for Utah was David Jackson who left after 2 years...while Drew Hansen was lightly regarded and turned out fabulous.

Fans jump all overthemselves to talk up or talk down players that they have seen 5 minutes of footage of...or they wet their pants over a player that often ends up redshirting, going on a mission and doesn't play a down for 4 years. Yeah, its fun to get excited about something, but a lot of it is truly asinine.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 03:47 PM   #12
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
I don't know about his academic ability, but it is nonsense. Yes, any good recruit that both BYU and Utah wanted that ended up going to Utah must have done so because they were so scared of the tough BYU academics. Seriously, that is funny stuff. I don't know any 18 year old kid that doesn't think he would do fine in school if he had a tutor or help which both schools would provide.

So, now if a kid doesn't go to BYU and chooses Utah instead, we have several options to pick from:

*Not smart enough to get in to one of the most brilliant academic schools in the world.

FWIW, I really don't care much about the recruits until I see them on the field. There have been some amazing Ute football players (Weddle, A.Smith, etc.) which were recruit afterthoughts...while other highly touted players did nothing (Poston comes to mind, unless he somehow changes that perception). One of the biggest hoops recruits for Utah was David Jackson who left after 2 years...while Drew Hansen was lightly regarded and turned out fabulous.

Fans jump all overthemselves to talk up or talk down players that they have seen 5 minutes of footage of...or they wet their pants over a player that often ends up redshirting, going on a mission and doesn't play a down for 4 years. Yeah, its fun to get excited about something, but a lot of it is truly asinine.
I think for the kids the "I can't compete academically" will become the most popular choice.

That is the answer that keeps the wrath of the over the top BYU fan at bay.

If the kid doesn't pronounce that one, then the said fan might come up with the other choices. Not smart enough, not spiritual enough, etc.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 03:53 PM   #13
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar View Post

It was reported by TBS that Siliaga reneged on BYU due to academics. I didn't make it up.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 03:55 PM   #14
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
It was reported by TBS that Siliaga reneged on BYU due to academics. I didn't make it up.
And the accuracy of TBS is beyond reproach.

BTW, Utestar is it your job to freak me out with this weird looking Avatars?

Aren't you the Elisha Cuthbert fan? If so, I demand as Assistant to the Regional Manager, that you bring her back.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:58 PM   #15
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I have no doubt that TBS said that...in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if TBS reports on someone in the future by saying: 'He decided BYU would not approve of his weekly hosting of dogfighting in his backyard.' I am also waiting for the report of the recruit who decided against going to BYU because "Even though he has a 3.8 GPA and scored a 34 on his ACTs, he was just too nervous that he was not academically prepared to handle the unbelievably tough BYU education."

I don't know why this kid chose Utah over BYU, but I do know that TBS writers can be a tad emotional over the subject.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 03:59 PM   #16
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I don't doubt a bit that is the reason the young man gave. I am saying that would be the reason I would give too. Even if it was I just had a change of heart and thought I would like playing for Utah more.

Think about it. He gives this reason and even the most extreme BYU fans are wishing him luck.

Imagine what would be said if he said, the more I thought about it the more I thought Utah's football program was better for me. The more I thought about it the more comfortable I will be in Kyle's system. The more I thought about it the more I felt I would be uncomfortable at BYU's up tight campus.

He would have his character, testimony, courage, etc. challenged.

This way he is still thought highly of. Who gets mad when someone says, hey I am not as smart as you.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 04:04 PM   #17
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I don't doubt a bit that is the reason the young man gave. I am saying that would be the reason I would give too. Even if it was I just had a change of heart and thought I would like playing for Utah more.

Think about it. He gives this reason and even the most extreme BYU fans are wishing him luck.

Imagine what would be said if he said, the more I thought about it the more I thought Utah's football program was better for me. The more I thought about it the more comfortable I will be in Kyle's system. The more I thought about it the more I felt I would be uncomfortable at BYU's up tight campus.

This way he is still thought highly of. Who gets mad when someone says, hey I am not as smart as you.
So if he is smart enough to have followed that analysis, who says he's really dumb.

I understand why some LDs kids want to go to Utah, as I have a daughter who may end up there. She's stabbing me in the heart. There's one kid who won't be in my will.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:10 PM   #18
jay santos

See if I would have added the smiley I wouldn't have gotten these three good responses.

I was guilty in my first post at taking the TBS report at face value, but I should have been smarter than that. This is exactly what I've accused TBS of in the past.

Maybe when TBS reporters get a comment from a recruit they think might be headed to controversy, they could follow it up with a conversation like this:

TBS: "So your stance is that you changed from BYU to Utah because you were scared of not being able to cut it in the classroom at BYU and it will be much easier at Utah."

recruit: "well..hmm..."

TBS: "I just want to make sure because 1,000's of BYU and Utah fans will read this article and it will most likely get back to coaching staffs on both sides."

recruit: "yeah, I guess that's not really the reason"

TBS: "then what is the reason?"

recruit: "My buddy just committed to Utah and I like Coach Anderson and feel more comfortable with everything, it's just more my style."

or maybe this too

TBS: "So the reason you chose BYU is due to a manifestation of the spirit."

recruit: "yes"

TBS: "Just want to make sure because this is going in print and 1,000's of fans will read it and it will get back to coaching staffs"

recruit: "why don't you just say it's because i like the coaches and the direction of the program and i think i'll have a good chance to get playing time and prepare for the nfl plus i like the environment and the students"

I definitely get the feeling these recruits feel like they're just kicking it with their homies and talking BS to these guys and telling them what they want to hear and not understanding they should treat it like a real media interview.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:13 PM   #19
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post

It's hard to tell when you're in satire mode and when you're being serious, but I'll take a chance you're being serious (which you're probably not).

That's a BYU-centric view of it. Wouldn't he rather piss off his rival than the school he'll be attending? He just committed to Utah but did it in a way that totally disrespects their academics. Doesn't make sense. I think he told the TBS reporter what he wanted to hear and didn't comprehend he was speaking to the world.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:18 PM   #20
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

is it just me, or do polys seem to be *particularly* unprepared and unskilled when it comes to dealing with the media?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote