cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2007, 01:13 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Well that was nice

1. Anae didn't lay an egg in the first game as he has seemed to do in the past.

2. Unga is amazing.

3. Hall looks like he will be solid and is the legit QB of the future. He doesn't appear to have the strongest arm, but he appears to have the potential to be an excellent decision maker.

4. Tuitama is awful, so while I think the defense did great, we need another week to really pass judgement.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 01:31 AM   #2
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
1. Anae didn't lay an egg in the first game as he has seemed to do in the past.

2. Unga is amazing.

3. Hall looks like he will be solid and is the legit QB of the future. He doesn't appear to have the strongest arm, but he appears to have the potential to be an excellent decision maker.

4. Tuitama is awful, so while I think the defense did great, we need another week to really pass judgement.
Hall had great poise for his first start. He's gonna be a good one. Too bad he couldn't hook up with Collie on a couple of those long passes.

Overall a great game. Kicking scares the crap out of me though.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 02:03 AM   #3
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Unga is our RB of the now and future.

Have any of the Poly backs let us down in the long run? I can't remember.

None of Hall's bombs were anywhere close.

I agreed with Bronco's call on 4th-and-1. at the 2. Total Moneyball decision. If it's 4 and =<2 should be going for it.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:11 AM   #4
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
Unga is our RB of the now and future.

Have any of the Poly backs let us down in the long run? I can't remember.

None of Hall's bombs were anywhere close.

I agreed with Bronco's call on 4th-and-1. at the 2. Total Moneyball decision. If it's 4 and =<2 should be going for it.
Tahi disappointed a little after his mish and didn't return to freshman form until his senior year.

I like our backs, but I wish we had a speed guy to run the sweep.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 02:26 AM   #5
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Tahi disappointed a little after his mish and didn't return to freshman form until his senior year.
hence "in the long run."
Old 09-02-2007, 02:42 AM   #6
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

My thoughts on the game:

- It was hotter than a snake's butt in a wagon rut. 95+ down by the field. I was sure glad when the shade finally came over the west stands.

- I think the "blue-out" was a complete flop in that it had no visible effect. I saw tons of people wearing the blue t-shirts but the statdium didn't look any bluer than it usually does. In fact, over on the east stands (I was sitting in the west) it looked more white than blue.

- Bronco just went off on the crowd for booing the punter (I'm listening to the post-game show on the radio) but how many crappy punts can you put up with? If Bronco doesn't think booing is appropriate, what is an appropriate way to let your own team know that they're not getting it done? You know the punting is horrible when the punter finally lets off a decent punt and the whole crowd cheers.

- I didn't see that the vaunted speed of the AZ defense had that much affect. I also didn't notice Cason that much. Perhaps that's due to the Cougars not throwing to his side of the field but it seemed to me that Corby Hodgekiss had more pass breakups than Cason did.

- The speed of BYU's defense was better than I expected. There were several times where they were able to stop AZ from turning the corner on the outsides. Even if Tuitama isn't the best QB ever, the BYU D did a good job against AZ's run so I can't chalk up the good D performance entirely to AZ's suckitude. That being said, I certainly am not delusional enough to expect that the BYU D will hold UCLA to a single score next week.

- I've never been a big fan of the 3-man wall punt formation. AZ never really had a block on but it seems to me that if a team really wants to block the punt their chances are better against the 3-man wall than against a traditional formation. I don't know why this formation is so in vogue but I just don't like it.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 02:44 AM   #7
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
It was absolutely the wrong thing to do. When you have a chance to push it to a 3 score game that late, you have to do it. And if you are going to go for it, don't let the smallest guy on the field try to run it in. Not to bag on Hall, but I think my 13 year old could take the guy down in arm wrestling.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 02:47 AM   #8
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
It was absolutely the wrong thing to do. When you have a chance to push it to a 3 score game that late, you have to do it. And if you are going to go for it, don't let the smallest guy on the field try to run it in. Not to bag on Hall, but I think my 13 year old could take the guy down in arm wrestling.
Given the state of the kicking game, I can see why Bronco did that. You are correct on the QB sneak. Strange call.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 02:50 AM   #9
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
- Bronco just went off on the crowd for booing the punter (I'm listening to the post-game show on the radio) but how many crappy punts can you put up with? If Bronco doesn't think booing is appropriate, what is an appropriate way to let your own team know that they're not getting it done? You know the punting is horrible when the punter finally lets off a decent punt and the whole crowd cheers.
I side with Bronco on this point. I've never liked the idea of booing players. It seems so ugly to boo 20 year old kids. If booing the punting really must be done, at least wait for a few weeks when the guy has shown a pattern of ineptitude. Don't shake his confidence the first game.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 02:53 AM   #10
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
Just got back from the game myself, and IMO, that wasn't really Hall's fault. The O-line gave him zero push and nothing that even looked like a hole.

Hall was much better than I expected. If someone had said on Friday that he'd pass for 288 yards and 2 TD's with no INT's I wouldn't have bought that.

I agree with the sentiments that the team speed for the D was much better than I've seen for a long time from the Cougards. Tuitama would throw these quick outs and expect the receiver to make the first down and a cougar would be right there to shut the WR down. Very impressive.

Unga is a stud. I wish we had someone with more speed in the backfield, too, but I think we'll be fine in the running game.

I think if Tuitama had gone long more often early in the game this could have turned out different. But who knows?

Collie looked fine. Fast, quick, strong, etc. Hope Hall can start to find him with the long ball.

Hall's career looks like it might mirror Beck's in a way... Beck in 2004 had the long ball down and struggled to find the shorter stuff. Hall has the short to mid-range ball in his arsenal and struggles with the long ball. I think he'll progress in that regard.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote