cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2006, 08:07 PM   #1
fuegote

fuegote
Default The Colbert Report

anyone watch this. I was instantly hooked after watching him interview the representative from Washington DC.

I tivo the show every night.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:09 PM   #2
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

I like this show alot as well. I like Colbert more than Stewart.
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:19 PM   #3
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Colbert is amazing.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:10 PM   #4
OhioBlue

OhioBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a long-time Colbert fan. I too like his show more now than the Daily Show, although I love that one too.

I don't, however, love him enough that I would take hours morphing his green-screen light-saber footage into an actual scene. Nor would I volunteer to go on a rescue mission to save Stephen, Jr.

But he's awesome to watch, obviously quick witted and very bright, and the BKAD interviews are amazing.

And that, my friends, is truthy.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:34 PM   #5
El Guapo

El Guapo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuegote
anyone watch this. I was instantly hooked after watching him interview the representative from Washington DC.

I tivo the show every night.

That was a classic interview. My favorite line, "Do you see why they don't let you vote now?"

That is the best segment on the best show on television.
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 09:57 PM   #6
fuegote

fuegote

Have you had a filet (sound the T)
No, is that how they say that down there?
No, they say filet (silent t)
Well that's how I say it.

then you're not american, by your own logic.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:20 PM   #7
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a chance to see John Stewart live back in 2001. I have been a HUGE fan since...with that said, though I still enjoy his show and watch most of his shows, I like Colbert just a little bit more right now. Maybe its the new-ness of the program or whatever, but his show is terrific and very enjoyable.

With that said, Stewart is the standard bearer and that is one terrific hour on Comedy Central.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 10:31 PM   #8
OhioBlue

OhioBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar
I had a chance to see John Stewart live back in 2001. I have been a HUGE fan since...with that said, though I still enjoy his show and watch most of his shows, I like Colbert just a little bit more right now. Maybe its the new-ness of the program or whatever, but his show is terrific and very enjoyable.

With that said, Stewart is the standard bearer and that is one terrific hour on Comedy Central.
Here's my thing with Stewart: He's too smart, and he knows it. In recent years he seems more passionate about making a political point than he does about being funny. He absolutely cannot let a guest make a good point and leave it at that, he HAS to either a) refute it with a lot of words and large audience applause, b) make a funny face and look at the audience and get lots of applause, or c) make a joke out of the offered opinion and get lots of audience applause. He basks in it, and a little too much at times for my tastes.

It's not that I disagree with him politically that bothers me. It's that he's trading away at times his humor for just being yet another partisan voice in the fray, and that he manipulates his situation according to his rules, his show, and his audience and later throws up his hands and says, "what, you take my show seriously? It's just comedy man!"

it's just getting mildly annoying. But I still like the show a lot and agree that it's the best hour of comedy television on any channel right now. I really like the new british guy who does the special pieces, can't recall his name right now.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:37 PM   #9
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBlue
Here's my thing with Stewart: He's too smart, and he knows it. In recent years he seems more passionate about making a political point than he does about being funny. He absolutely cannot let a guest make a good point and leave it at that, he HAS to either a) refute it with a lot of words and large audience applause, b) make a funny face and look at the audience and get lots of applause, or c) make a joke out of the offered opinion and get lots of audience applause. He basks in it, and a little too much at times for my tastes.

It's not that I disagree with him politically that bothers me. It's that he's trading away at times his humor for just being yet another partisan voice in the fray, and that he manipulates his situation according to his rules, his show, and his audience and later throws up his hands and says, "what, you take my show seriously? It's just comedy man!"

it's just getting mildly annoying. But I still like the show a lot and agree that it's the best hour of comedy television on any channel right now. I really like the new british guy who does the special pieces, can't recall his name right now.
You just hit the nail right on the head. If I flip it to Comedy Central and the Daily Show is on, I usually watch for a few minutes until Stewart acts like a smug dick, then change the channel. I dont find myself getting annoyed with Colbert.
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 10:39 PM   #10
fuegote

fuegote

Here is what started it all for me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pYQGaYyDgs