cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2008, 05:23 AM   #1
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Would you trade Marion and Banks for Shaq?

It sounds like the Suns may be about to do just that.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:17 PM   #2
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

I suppose. I mean, why not? The Suns want a ring, Shaq wants a ring and Shaq tends to get energized by these type of opportunities. Plus he's got 3 months to get in shape.
DrumNFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:15 PM   #3
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

I would do it if I were Miami...

Seriously, while Shaq 'may' help a team this year, even that is debateable. He is MUCH older than he was when he was traded to the Heat as far as Basketball wise. And while Shaq 'may' be able to get into shape and play, he still has 2 years left on his contract. So I guess if the Suns know that 1) Steve Nash is retiring soon, and 2) Marion and Stoudamire cannot get along in the locker room, then I guess you maybe look at a trade. But is Shaq really the piece that puts you over the top? And are you ready for 2 more years of Shaq at $20 mil per?

I just don't think Phoenix should make the trade, although I'd be happy if they did.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:18 PM   #4
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

This sounds to me like the CWebb trade when Allen Iverson said, "How the hell is he going to run with them?" This is a silly trade for the Suns. They shoot in the first 8 seconds of the shot clock each possession. Shaq won't even be across the half court line by then.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 03:02 PM   #5
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

The last time I recall Shaq running a fast break with any sort of regularity, the Lakers were starting Nick Van Exel and Eddie Jones and Kobe was coming off the bench because he was new to the league.

Even though that was almost 12 years and multiple hip, knee, stomach, and back injuries ago, I see no reason why Shaq could not turn it all around this month and start running the full length of the court for 40 minutes a game.

In the alternative, Nash can slow down and start running half court sets, which really plays into the strengths of a mostly undersized team of guards and small forwards that like to shoot the ball from outside. Sounds like a great trade!

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 03:57 PM   #6
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

This is an absolutely terrible trade for the Suns. You have a Phoenix team that is playing well together (and yes, they have for several years now) about to trade one of its top players and a very important defensive player on their team for an out of shape, slow, old center. Don't get me wrong, I love Shaq. I can also think of 25 other teams in the league where he could help them, but Phoenix is not one of them.

First, Shaq has to get in shape. That is a HUGE If, especially considering that its already February.

Second, Shaq has to get healthy. He hasn't been truly healthy in several years.

Third, Shaq has to figure out how to play with another dominant big man in Amare. He has never had to play with another big man of that caliber and it will be interesting to see how he adapts to it.

Fourth, Shaq has not played for a real uptempo team since probably his Orlando days, now they are expecting him to somehow be able to keep up. And if they don't expect him to keep up, can the Suns really play half court offense for over half of the game with Shaq in?

Fifth, Shaq was an average defender in his prime. Average at best. Put it in perspective--Ostertag had his best games of the year, every single time he played Shaq. Shaq is a big body, not a defender. Now in his subprime, he is a brutal defender.

And on top of all of that, he will be making $40 million over the next couple of years. That is brutal. What will Shaq be like in 2 seasons? Marion could have brought in a lot of players that could have helped Phoenix. As much as I like Shaq as a person and as good as Shaq was, how on earth will this help this team? Strange to say the least.

Goatnapper: "UteStar is the only one who is not scum."
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 03:59 PM   #7
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall

This is clearly an all or nothing trade for the suns. They want to win a championship THIS year. Only problem is that Shaq has been getting hurt more and more and they could get stuck with a huge financial albatross. If he stays healthy, though, then its a boon to phoenix and they might get what they want.

Miami is looking towards the future. Its actualy a good deal for them in the long run. Marion only has one year left on his contract before a player opt-out option is available to him. That means that miami could have a good chunk of cap space available to them to sign free agents summer of 2009.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:14 PM   #8
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

This trade means D'Antoni is at the beginning of his way out in PHX.

He and new GM Steve Kerr have steep philosophical differences. D'Antoni wants a wide open fast paced attack, whereas Kerr prefers the halfcourt grind and pound em' attack.

I don't know how Kerr thinks that getting a washed up hall of famer who can barely run or jump anymore is going to help with his vision. In my opinion he just cut out both of D'Antonis legs out from underneath him.

Marion has several years left. Shaq is done.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:18 PM   #9
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
This trade means D'Antoni is at the beginning of his way out in PHX.

He and new GM Steve Kerr have steep philosophical differences. D'Antoni wants a wide open fast paced attack, whereas Kerr prefers the halfcourt grind and pound em' attack.

I don't know how Kerr thinks that getting a washed up hall of famer who can barely run or jump anymore is going to help with his vision. In my opinion he just cut out both of D'Antonis legs out from underneath him.

Marion has several years left. Shaq is done.
I would imagine that Kerr thinks that with the right motivation, Shaq can put it together for a title run. Shaq is done because his team is losing and he has no motivation.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Shaq play harder in Phoenix and work harder to get in shape.
DrumNFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 04:30 PM   #10
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
I would imagine that Kerr thinks that with the right motivation, Shaq can put it together for a title run. Shaq is done because his team is losing and he has no motivation.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Shaq play harder in Phoenix and work harder to get in shape.
It still doesn't make sense. Shaq is injured so getting in shape will be difficult. Shaq has not been in shape for years either. On top of all of that, how can a team change its entire style midway thru the year (a style they have done for the past 4 years?). This is a brutal trade. An old, out of shape center who hit his prime 5 years ago and you are saddled with $40 million to pay him. Makes zero sense. I would go as far as to say that this is the worst trade in several years.

Goatnapper: "UteStar is the only one who is not scum."
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote