cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2007, 06:55 PM   #1
FMCoug

FMCoug
Default Ward Christmas Party tonight

Have I mentioned how much I hate these events?

I can't decide which is worse. The food, all the kids running around, or having to chat with people and pretend you're interested.

Call me grinch I guess.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 07:02 PM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
Have I mentioned how much I hate these events?

I can't decide which is worse. The food, all the kids running around, or having to chat with people and pretend you're interested.

Call me grinch I guess.
Grinch? I call you friend.

I'm skipping the ward get together tonight. Of course, you may not have my excuse of seeing a lot of these people each day just by stepping outside your front door to justify not going.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 07:03 PM   #3
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Grinch? I call you friend.

I'm skipping the ward get together tonight. Of course, you may not have the built in excuse of seeing a lot of these people each day just by stepping outside your front door.
My 5 year old has an ear infection but both she and Mrs. FM are insisting she is well enough to go. But I am still holding out hope. It's 38 degrees outside. Maybe I should take her for a walk around the block or something?
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 07:04 PM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
My 5 year old has an ear infection but both she and Mrs. FM are insisting she is well enough to go. But I am still holding out hope. It's 38 degrees outside. Maybe I should take her for a walk around the block or something?
That might not be a bad idea, though I think slipping her a bit of ipecac a few minutes before you're supposed to leave is more effective.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 12-15-2007, 07:05 PM   #5
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It's the food.
Old 12-15-2007, 07:06 PM   #6
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Ours is tonight. it should be fun.

There is this one guy in our ward who shows up at every activity and plays bagpipes. He is almost never actually part of the program at any activity. He is almost like the equivalent of the SuperFan guy who used to land at sporting events and then get arrested.

It is stuff of ward legend because he plays them at inopportune times (never during a spiritual moment, though). For example, we just had a stake youth activity, almost similar to a roadshow, but on a much smaller scale. In between one of the skits, as soon as the ward wrapped up its song, his son opened the side door and his dad popped out and played "Praise to the Man/Scotland the Brave." After a few minutes, he just walked back out the door. It has become quite a tradition in the ward and everyone usually thinks it is funny.

So the big question for tonight is, when is the dude going to pop through the door playing bagpipes? Last year, he just popped in while everyone was eating their dinner (we usually do a dinner and slideshow as well as Santa) and walked around the tables playing for a few minutes.

I will try to snap some pics tonight and post later.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 07:08 PM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
It's the food.
Speaking of food, why is the food after funerals so much better than at ward parties? Is it the because funeral food is cooked with sympathy and ward party food is cooked from being guilt-ridden as a result of duty?

Old 12-15-2007, 07:21 PM   #8
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Speaking of food, why is the food after funerals so much better than at ward parties? Is it the because funeral food is cooked with sympathy and ward party food is cooked from being guilt-ridden as a result of duty?
My contribution to our ward party tonight is a chocolate mousse pie, which is pretty dang delicious, if I do say so myself.
marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 07:22 PM   #9
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Is it open bar the first hour? If so try and get there early and it will make the rest of it much more enjoyable.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 07:24 PM   #10
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
My contribution to our ward party tonight is a chocolate mousse pie, which is pretty dang delicious, if I do say so myself.
See, that is the kind of food that needs to be served. You need to be called as General Food Sister.