cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religious Studies
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-11-2015, 02:19 PM   #1
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brookings Picks Up Church's LBGTQ Compromise

http://www.brookings.edu/blogs/fixgo...101US0001-0308

Quote:
The deal was warmly welcomed by gay leaders, both local and national, with the Human Rights Campaign in Washington calling it "all upside" and "a model." This endorsement was not a given: one-sided "religious freedom" laws sought (and sometimes passed) by religious conservatives in other states have deepened suspicion in the LGBT world that religious accommodations are intended as a "license to discriminate." Some LGBT folks now view any such accommodations as a poison pill. That view did not prevail in Utah, whose example suggests that good-faith negotiations and a tangible upside can still attract gay support for compromise.
I think I was reading God's mind. Back when the Church came out with support for SLC's housing protections for gays, I thought, we might as well support every gay right we can while being constrained by doctrinal integrity, and we should go all the way and make a big deal out of it.

The Brookings panel will discuss whether this can be a model for other states. So instead of being a social laggard once again, here's a chance to be an innovator.

And no, John Dehlin was not invited to the panel.

Last edited by ChinoCoug; 03-11-2015 at 02:35 PM.
ChinoCoug is offline   Reply With Quote