cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2009, 11:28 PM   #61
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
It is a 200 page document. Are you under the impression they typed it up the night before Obama arrived and conducted all inquiries that day?
Are you under the impression that on Jan 20th, everyone in the Executive suddenly becomes a Democrat?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:42 PM   #62
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Cali, Tex believes it is not possible for a lawyer to have broken the law with a legal memo, provided he says that it was his opinion.

Nor is it possible for a lawyer to act unethically or unprofessionally as long as it was hish legal opinion.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:26 AM   #63
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Cali, Tex believes it is not possible for a lawyer to have broken the law with a legal memo, provided he says that it was his opinion.

Nor is it possible for a lawyer to act unethically or unprofessionally as long as it was hish legal opinion.
Quite the loophole Tex has identified. I should begin plotting all sorts of crimes and label them all as my legal opinion. Then, when people act them out and pay me for my planning efforts, I have no culpability at all. Genius.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:27 AM   #64
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Are you under the impression that on Jan 20th, everyone in the Executive suddenly becomes a Democrat?
New York Times reporting the report was done in December and the investigation began much earlier than that. But keep saying it is totally political, Tex. No moral issue here. We are only discussing torture, after all.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:00 AM   #65
Tex

Quote:
New York Times reporting the report was done in December and the investigation began much earlier than that. But keep saying it is totally political, Tex. No moral issue here. We are only discussing torture, after all.
If anything, it illustrates that there was some healthy disagreement over the procedures, and rightfully so. It's a very murky thing, and I'm not surprised there might be conflicting opinions.

What it does not illustrate is that it wasn't politically motivated. Unless you seriously believe that every individual in the Executive over the last 8 years was 100% loyal to Bush.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 05-06-2009, 04:12 AM   #66
Cali Coug

Quote:
If anything, it illustrates that there was some healthy disagreement over the procedures, and rightfully so. It's a very murky thing, and I'm not surprised there might be conflicting opinions.

What it does not illustrate is that it wasn't politically motivated. Unless you seriously believe that every individual in the Executive over the last 8 years was 100% loyal to Bush.
The Office of Legal Counsel is filled with appointees of a president. Yes, there are several career attorneys, but they hardly fill the top ranks. Those positions are appointed. (by the way, Republicans are blocking some of Obama's choices for OLC right now). The OLC does not investigate two of its attorneys and recommend them for disbarment without tacit approval of the appointees in the OLC. It wasn't political. And it doesn't show that there was "healthy disagreement" over a "murky" topic. It shows that OLC was willing to crucify its own because what they did was absolutely beyond the pale and immoral and deserving of reprimand. That you think this is a political witch hunt shows how broken your moral compass really is.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:57 AM   #67
Tex

Quote:
And it doesn't show that there was "healthy disagreement" over a "murky" topic.
Sure it does.

Quote:
In a separate effort to counterbalance the draft report, Attorney General Michael B. Mukasey and Deputy Attorney General Mark R. Filip wrote a 14-page letter before they left office this year. They described the context surrounding the origins of the memos, written at a time when officials feared another terrorist strike on American soil.

Both Mukasey and Filip were dissatisfied with the quality of the legal analysis in the wide-ranging draft report, sources said. Among other things, the draft report cited passages from a 2004 CIA inspector general's investigation and cast doubt on the effectiveness of the questioning techniques, which sources characterized as far afield from the narrow legal questions surrounding the lawyers' activities. The letter from Mukasey and Filip has not been publicly released, but it may emerge when the investigative report is issued.
Sounds like a internal disagreement to me.

The end of the article indicates what this is really all about:

Quote:
But, [Durbin] said, many important questions remained unanswered. "It's a question of responsibility. In this chain of command, how far up did it go?"
Now past the 100 Days even, and the Get Bush crowd is still alive and well.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 05-06-2009, 05:18 AM   #68
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

If I am ever a president of something in the church, I am going to want Tex as my counselor. he would definitely take the fall for me if asked.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:04 AM   #69
Cali Coug

Quote:
Sure it does.

Sounds like a internal disagreement to me.

The end of the article indicates what this is really all about:

Now past the 100 Days even, and the Get Bush crowd is still alive and well.
Who said there wasn't internal disagreement? Point?
Old 05-06-2009, 02:15 PM   #70
Tex

Quote:
Who said there wasn't internal disagreement? Point?
If you're not disagreeing with that, then we're all good.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young