cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Outdoor / Scouting / Survival
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2007, 12:04 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default latest beehive update

When I've given my hive sugar-water, ants have come to join the party. So I decided to do something about it. Using materials from around the house, my dad and I made a stand with 4 legs (made of landscape timbers). The idea is to put each leg into a coffee can with some material that ants can't cross. For example, my dad uses sand and motor oil.

I didn't have any coffee cans or other suitable containers. So last night I went to the dollar store and bought 4 plastic mini trash cans. Today I got some used cooking oil (that Farrah had kept in the fryer). I split it between the 4 plastic trash cans, and then added about a quart of water to each. The oil of course sits on top of the water.

I went outside and moved the hive on top of the air conditioner and then replaced the concrete blocks with the new apparatus. I added a new thing of sugar water. Now there won't be anymore ants.

Yesterday I opened up the hive to take a look. The number of bees appears to be the same from when I first started. This isn't a bad sign. It means that the population has dipped (as the old workers died) and now I have new bees that have replaced the dead ones. It should only increase from here. There was a lot of capped brood in the frames (larvae that are pupating in capped cells). I didn't notice the queen.

Lots of pollen and a little bit of honey. Unfortunately I saw six hive beetles when I first opened it. I quickly dispatched them with my glove and hive tool. They're sneaky bastards. I could probably not do anything about the hive beetles and I would be okay. But I think I will make a trap for them.

I was talking to my LDS neighbor. I knew he had bees before. Turned out that he had 40 beehives at one point. He confessed that in all his time he was never once able to find a queen. He had even bought commercial queens, but never could kill the old queens. He seemed to be innately unable to locate the one different bee among all the similar ones. I guess some people are better at this than others. He has a son that is autistic. I wonder if his pattern problems are related somehow to a risk for autism. Who knows.

Anyway, it turns out that he has all his equipment, including an extractor and electric knife. So, I have these available to me. Of course, I'll have to give him some honey for his generosity.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 09:24 AM   #2
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
When I've given my hive sugar-water, ants have come to join the party. So I decided to do something about it. Using materials from around the house, my dad and I made a stand with 4 legs (made of landscape timbers). The idea is to put each leg into a coffee can with some material that ants can't cross. For example, my dad uses sand and motor oil.

I didn't have any coffee cans or other suitable containers. So last night I went to the dollar store and bought 4 plastic mini trash cans. Today I got some used cooking oil (that Farrah had kept in the fryer). I split it between the 4 plastic trash cans, and then added about a quart of water to each. The oil of course sits on top of the water.

I went outside and moved the hive on top of the air conditioner and then replaced the concrete blocks with the new apparatus. I added a new thing of sugar water. Now there won't be anymore ants.

Yesterday I opened up the hive to take a look. The number of bees appears to be the same from when I first started. This isn't a bad sign. It means that the population has dipped (as the old workers died) and now I have new bees that have replaced the dead ones. It should only increase from here. There was a lot of capped brood in the frames (larvae that are pupating in capped cells). I didn't notice the queen.

Lots of pollen and a little bit of honey. Unfortunately I saw six hive beetles when I first opened it. I quickly dispatched them with my glove and hive tool. They're sneaky bastards. I could probably not do anything about the hive beetles and I would be okay. But I think I will make a trap for them.

I was talking to my LDS neighbor. I knew he had bees before. Turned out that he had 40 beehives at one point. He confessed that in all his time he was never once able to find a queen. He had even bought commercial queens, but never could kill the old queens. He seemed to be innately unable to locate the one different bee among all the similar ones. I guess some people are better at this than others. He has a son that is autistic. I wonder if his pattern problems are related somehow to a risk for autism. Who knows.

Anyway, it turns out that he has all his equipment, including an extractor and electric knife. So, I have these available to me. Of course, I'll have to give him some honey for his generosity.
Mike,

Honestly, this endeavor of yours is very, very interesting. Keep up the reports. Some photos to enhance the narrative would be even better. But please, no more nipple shots.

Unless of course the bees are stinging the hell out of your nipples. That would be acceptable.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 03:08 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Here's a picture of the new setup.

Old 05-14-2007, 03:12 PM   #4
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the picture Mike.

Is there much talk among your bee-keeping associates of this new mystery virus that is killing bees?

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 03:36 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Thanks for the picture Mike.

Is there much talk among your bee-keeping associates of this new mystery virus that is killing bees?
My only real bee-keeping associate is my dad. And we have discussed it somewhat.

There's an email list that I have browsed a couple times, and they have discussed it.