cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Outdoor / Scouting / Survival
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2007, 09:49 PM   #1
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The 'overwieght kid' in the troop

I took the teacher quorum snowshoeing yesterday up in the Cascades.

It was a medium-level hike, to get them use to the hiking in snowshoes.

We have one young man in the quorum who is fifteen and about 225lbs – none of it muscle.

I always make sure he can participate (called around the ward to find him snow clothes, so he didn't have an excuse not to go) on the outdoor trips. And I don't want him to feel discouraged from going on activities. But he had a brutal day yesterday - and I'm sure he hated it.

Not sure what to do: Our summer activity is a five-day bike ride and I don’t think he can physically do it.

Change the activity? Try to train with him – away from the other boys so he’s not embarrassed?

Thoughts?
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:26 PM   #2
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

I would ask him if he's interested in trying to train a bit and get in better physical shape. If he says he is then I would try to train with him. In other words, as long as he is willing to put forth the effort, I would be willing to spend time with him.

If he wasn't willing to put forth the effort then I wouldn't try to tailor the activities so that they can fit him. In our scout troop growing up we had a mentally handicapped boy that we did activities with. We didn't mind talioring things to him so that everyone could participate but we didn't stop doing outdoor activities just because he wasn't able to participate. His parents would either help with the activity or drive to the campsite ahead of time while we hiked in, etc. so he could participate.

I think there is a big difference between that kid and the kid in your troop in that the kid in your troop doesn't have a physical or mental disability. I wouldn't give up on him as long as he's willing but if he isn't willing and doesn't care to participate in an outdoor or physical activity then I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote