cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2007, 07:13 PM   #11
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
Another good rule of thumb: Any movie with Eddie Murphy that is not rated R, is going to blow.
That rule has its exceptions. Bowfinger was a very good movie.

Hey Laker Girls
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:15 PM   #12
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
I also hate Titanic.
I am not sure I understand the bitterness towards the Titanic. OK, I agree that some of the characters, plot elements, etc. are cheesy. But, as someone who has read books on the Titanic disaster, and given the fact that it was such a huge event in our nation's history, I appreciated the fact that they were so careful in terms of historical detail. And the movie was long but I found the detailed presentation of the chronology of the disaster, and the representation of the different treatment of first class passengers vs. "steerage" to be fascinating.

In other words, I fully understand why many people would not like the movie, but to put it in a list of "worst movies ever" is just crazy.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:16 PM   #13
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

I love bad movies. I watch them frequently and here are a few that are bad and just enjoyable to watch.

Showdown in Little Tokyo: Dolph Lundgren's finest hour
Knock Off: Juan Claude Van Damme's finest hour. Nothing like a movie about counterfeit jeans, although I have yet to see all of this movie.
On Deadly Ground: it is a true treat when Seagal decides he needs to direct. Nothing like shots of himself standing near the camera with his arms folded while things are exploding behind him.
The Island: a Michael Bay classic, I have a nice review of this on Utefans.net perhaps I will try to find it
They Call Me Bruce
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:18 PM   #14
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
Well the Flintstone Movie ruined that for me when Rosie O'Donnel played Betty Rubble.
In that case, exchange Betty Rubble with Judy Jetson. She's smokin' hot.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:20 PM   #15
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Speaking of topless cave women, what man can honestly say he hasn't at one time in his life fantasized of a three-way with Betty Rubble and Wilma Flintstone?
I assume by threeway you mean Skyline Chili that they serve in Cincinnati with Cheese, Onions. And yes I have fantasized about eating this with Wilma and Betty.

The worst movies I have ever seen that come to mind are "Benny and Joon", "Newsies", and "Cool World." So bad they were painful.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:22 PM   #16
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBlue View Post
Another bad, bad movie that is fun to watch--with the right group of people, at the right time of night:

Kung-Pow: Enter the Fist.
Mark me down for this one. I think it is really pretty funny under all circumstances. To show you how lucky a man I am, my wife liked this so much that she bought it. ANd she watches it. And she laughs.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:36 PM   #17
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I didn't like "Thank You For Smoking" very much. Although certiainly not one of the worst films of all time.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:36 PM   #18
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Speaking of topless cave women, what man can honestly say he hasn't at one time in his life fantasized of a three-way with Betty Rubble and Wilma Flintstone?
I never have, nor never will I.

Agreed with Surfah, the thought of Rosie O' as Betty pretty much kills that for any man now...
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:39 PM   #19
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Stuck On You and Envy would be two that would get my votes. Such high hopes for these, and they really really sucked. I couldn't even laugh when watching them with my roommate in College who would laugh at any and EVERYTHING.

My wife is also a huge fan of the Kill Bill movies, but I just didn't see what all the hype about them was about. Maybe I need to watch them again, but I was just not a fan.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:45 PM   #20
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
In other words, I fully understand why many people would not like the movie, but to put it in a list of "worst movies ever" is just crazy.
Correct.

I personally loathed the overuse of emotional manipulation.

That said, the movie belongs in a "personal least favorite movies" thread, and not a "worst moves ever" thread. However, this is the thread at hand. I should have been more specific.

Yes, the Edwardian detail was impressive. I was actually enrolled in an Edwardian British History class at the time, so we got a lot of good discussion out of the film.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote