cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2006, 08:37 PM   #1
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road
Default Gay bands

UteStar's new avatar:

http://cougarguard.com/forum/member.php?u=29

got me thinking. What are the most famous gay bands of all time? Here are a few candidates:

1) Air Supply.

Naturally.

2) Ambrosia

Big band in the late 70's, early 80's. Check out this album cover:

http://www.amazon.com/One-Eighty-Amb...e=UTF8&s=music

I used to get the willies every time I saw it.

3) The BeeGees

I am not sure if these guys were actually gay, but I bet they were. In any case, you had to be gay to like them.

4) ABBA

See item 3

5) The Village People

Just as gay as can be. I always get a little smirk when they play this at the MC. If folks only knew the not-so-hidden meaning of the song.

6) Queen

I don't care if they were gay (some of them at least). Far and away the best of the bunch.

Am I missing any?

One more note: two of these bands (Air Supply & the BeeGees) were from Australia. And ABBA is probably the most popular band in Australian history. What is it with these Aussies anyway?
Old 11-28-2006, 09:43 PM   #2
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
UteStar's new avatar:

http://cougarguard.com/forum/member.php?u=29

got me thinking. What are the most famous gay bands of all time? Here are a few candidates:

1) Air Supply.

Naturally.

2) Ambrosia

Big band in the late 70's, early 80's. Check out this album cover:

http://www.amazon.com/One-Eighty-Amb...e=UTF8&s=music

I used to get the willies every time I saw it.

3) The BeeGees

I am not sure if these guys were actually gay, but I bet they were. In any case, you had to be gay to like them.

4) ABBA

See item 3

5) The Village People

Just as gay as can be. I always get a little smirk when they play this at the MC. If folks only knew the not-so-hidden meaning of the song.

6) Queen

I don't care if they were gay (some of them at least). Far and away the best of the bunch.

Am I missing any?

One more note: two of these bands (Air Supply & the BeeGees) were from Australia. And ABBA is probably the most popular band in Australian history. What is it with these Aussies anyway?

Maybe not "most famous", but Rufus Wainright is gay and is one of my favorite artists. Elton John is not a "band", but probably is bigger than that whole list combined excepting the BeeGees who you probably hate because you have only heard their disco era music. Oh and BTW, the BeeGees are also Aussies.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:52 PM   #3
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
Maybe not "most famous", but Rufus Wainright is gay and is one of my favorite artists. Elton John is not a "band", but probably is bigger than that whole list combined excepting the BeeGees who you probably hate because you have only heard their disco era music.
Elton John. Yes, indeed.

See, I knew I would forget some obvious ones.

What about Barry Manilow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
Oh and BTW, the BeeGees are also Aussies.
?? That's what I said.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:57 PM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

We always referred to the BeeGees as the BeGays.

Queen is good, no matter orientation. They appear to have musical diversity.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:04 PM   #5
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Um, The Culture Club?

BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 10:30 PM   #6
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Styx. Chicago.

And anybody who likes their music.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 10:37 PM   #7
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Depeche Mode.

Which means there are a lot of homo's in the church.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:43 PM   #8
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

That reminds me: Is the lead singer for Rush gay? Or does he just sound that way?
Old 11-28-2006, 10:45 PM   #9
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
Styx. Chicago.

And anybody who likes their music.
Styx, maybe, although they were not really gay, just very 70s-ish which, if you didn't live through the era, is just hard to understand.

Chicago, my young firend, is not in the same category. Chicago (and I am talking only about Chicago before Terry Kath died, and really even before Chicago VI, when they started to decline) was as good a band as you could find. Kath was an abso-freakin'-lutely unbeleiveable guitar player*, the horn section was tight, Bobby Lamm, before he got rich and fat, was a great keyboard player, and Cetera will recevie absolution for all of his post Chicago dreck becasue of his smokin' bass playing. These guys were a very, very tight band. Heavy jazz influence, interesting chord progressions, and very innovative. Better than 99% of the crap that was being played at the time.

Now, if you are talking about anything after Terry Kath died (I think Chicago X or maybe XII was his last album) then you are closer to being correct. I am a huge fan and I have seen them in concert many times over the last 30+ years, but the last couple of times they were actually somewhat embarrassing. So I can understand how a young guy could have the wrong idea baout the band. But just like Mike Tyson is a tattooed clown now but was once the most feared man on the planet, so Chicago may be bad now, but they were once the tightest, most interesting band going.

Not gay at all.

*Jimi Hendrix reportedly said that he wished he could play some of the stuff Kath could play. I am not sure if this si true, but it is plausible as Kath was really that good. Kath was also stupid. His last words, with alcohol tinged breath, were "Don't worry, it's not loaded" (this is true).

Last edited by creekster; 11-28-2006 at 10:47 PM.
creekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 11:24 PM   #10
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Styx, maybe, although they were not really gay, just very 70s-ish which, if you didn't live through the era, is just hard to understand.

Chicago, my young firend, is not in the same category. Chicago (and I am talking only about Chicago before Terry Kath died, and really even before Chicago VI, when they started to decline) was as good a band as you could find. Kath was an abso-freakin'-lutely unbeleiveable guitar player*, the horn section was tight, Bobby Lamm, before he got rich and fat, was a great keyboard player, and Cetera will recevie absolution for all of his post Chicago dreck becasue of his smokin' bass playing. These guys were a very, very tight band. Heavy jazz influence, interesting chord progressions, and very innovative. Better than 99% of the crap that was being played at the time.

Now, if you are talking about anything after Terry Kath died (I think Chicago X or maybe XII was his last album) then you are closer to being correct. I am a huge fan and I have seen them in concert many times over the last 30+ years, but the last couple of times they were actually somewhat embarrassing. So I can understand how a young guy could have the wrong idea baout the band. But just like Mike Tyson is a tattooed clown now but was once the most feared man on the planet, so Chicago may be bad now, but they were once the tightest, most interesting band going.

Not gay at all.

*Jimi Hendrix reportedly said that he wished he could play some of the stuff Kath could play. I am not sure if this si true, but it is plausible as Kath was really that good. Kath was also stupid. His last words, with alcohol tinged breath, were "Don't worry, it's not loaded" (this is true).
Two words. Peter Cetera.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote