cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Outdoor / Scouting / Survival
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2006, 08:32 PM   #11
Rickomatic

Rickomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
What the!!???

Your response brings out the following words from deep within my being:

The path of the righteous scout is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil pro-DTGers. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my fellow scouts. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.
I just spit my diet coke out on the key board. Very good, I humbly bow to your great postiness. My son is an eagle and I must say it was the hardest work my wife had to do in the church.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."

Mark Twain
Rickomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 01:02 AM   #12
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
it doesn't take away from scouting? it sure does. in our ward, one week a month is dedicated to DTG. Only two for scouting.
I said that the two programs mesh together well. During DTG week a scoutmaster can be there to assist with items that also have to do with scouting. He can also just be there for continuity and for support.

I think you'll change your tune when you get put in charge of the entire YM program (something I think will happen to you soon based on the way you put your heart into scouting). DTG, if implemented properly can be a great program. It helps if the scoutmaster is onboard.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 01:19 AM   #13
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

the worst thing they could do is move me out of scoutmaster. because what the kids need is continuity. not their 4th scoutmaster in 1 year.

However, I think I may move out of the ward when my scoutmaster term is over.

some recent DTG activities: how to journal. sewing. how to lead music.

I don't have a problem with these activities. but in general the things they do don't mesh with scouting so much.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 01:32 AM   #14
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue
I said that the two programs mesh together well. During DTG week a scoutmaster can be there to assist with items that also have to do with scouting. He can also just be there for continuity and for support.

I think you'll change your tune when you get put in charge of the entire YM program (something I think will happen to you soon based on the way you put your heart into scouting). DTG, if implemented properly can be a great program. It helps if the scoutmaster is onboard.
Only the most highly-functional wards with a full staff have a chance to pull off both D2G and scouting at a quality level. I think the church should pick one and stick with it.

Just my $0.02.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:33 AM   #15
SteelBlue

Quote:
the worst thing they could do is move me out of scoutmaster. because what the kids need is continuity. not their 4th scoutmaster in 1 year.

However, I think I may move out of the ward when my scoutmaster term is over.

some recent DTG activities: how to journal. sewing. how to lead music.

I don't have a problem with these activities. but in general the things they do don't mesh with scouting so much.
I used to have a spreadsheet that coordinated every DTG requirement to a scouting requirement. I've lost it however. I'm sure there's one floating around online somewhere though. You'd be surprised what coordinates with scouting. Though, with the activities related above they would coordinate with merit badge requirements that your kids would likely not be interested in earning.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:37 AM   #16
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

If my memory fading, some of you folks here closer to my age should let me know, but I seem to remember when I was in scouts (got my Eagle rank in '78) there was a scouting award for LDS scouts that was called "Duty to God".

I don't think it is the same thing as today's DtG, but it was similar.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 01:43 AM   #17
SteelBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute
If my memory fading, some of you folks here closer to my age should let me know, but I seem to remember when I was in scouts (got my Eagle rank in '78) there was a scouting award for LDS scouts that was called "Duty to God".

I don't think it is the same thing as today's DtG, but it was similar.
Today's DTG is much different. It takes much more effort and the effort must be sustained throughout ones YM's "career". It is also completely independent of the BSA.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:39 AM   #18
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue
Today's DTG is much different. It takes much more effort and the effort must be sustained throughout ones YM's "career". It is also completely independent of the BSA.
This is true. I had a Dickens of a time getting the YM in my stake to be interested in the current DtG.

I'm glad I had the name right for the scouting award. I've at least got my memory of scouts going for me.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 02:26 PM   #19
OhioBlue

OhioBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with those in this thread that suggest we just bag scouting altogether.

Scouts is fun for some, but making it a cultural requirement that every LDS boy learn how to tie knots, make boondoggle keychains, play with fire, and participate in a Klondike Derby is just silly. Some kids like that stuff, some don't. It has to be one of the oddest things about our LDS culture, the fascination with Boy Scouts and parents earning their kids' Eagle awards.

One of the best decisions I made in my adolescence was to quit scouts, which even then came at least a year after I had become tired of it. I was able to focus on the things I actually enjoyed that helped me develop into who I am today. Truth be told, I can only tie a clove hitch these days...but oddly enough I've never regretted not remembering my knots better.

Kudos to those of you passionate about scouting. Not for me. Throw out the whole thing.

This will likely be my first and last contribution to this particular forum.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:29 PM   #20
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

you must have never sailed. suddenly knots became relevant again.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote