cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Outdoor / Scouting / Survival
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2006, 09:09 PM   #1
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ANy comments on this GPS unit?

I'm thinking about getting this one:

http://www.garmin.com/products/etrexLegendcx/

Any comments or alternatives that anyone thinks I should consider?

Main use hiking; occasional use in vehicle or on bike (you can buy windshield mount and handlebar mount).
Old 08-03-2006, 09:27 PM   #2
livecoug

livecoug is an unknown quantity at this point

it depends on your requirements.. do you require fantastic accuracy? if so, than you need a uber expensive unit.. if you want durability and portablility and don't mind a lack of perfect accuracy (3-6 feet off), then that will be perfect.. usually all GPS units in that price range or less are going to be the same accuracy wise. We have a trimble unit at work that was probably 10k bucks, but has killer accuracy.
livecoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 01:35 AM   #3
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

I have both the Vista and Legend. They are perfect for the day trip, geocaching, or even a road trip. I'd upgrade the memory cards though to be able to load all of the necessary maps for a significant road trip but it is well worth it. You can search streets, cities, set waypoints, etc. It will even tell you what amenities are available at each exit off of a freeway which is especially helpful for me as I drive a diesel truck. I have the Steetpilot c330 that I use for the road now but the Vista and Legend are very easy to navigate. I pack one with me whenever I hike and board out of bounds like at Aspen Grove for example.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 09:09 PM   #4
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default OFF to Camp

Well boys and girls, thanks for the input over time into boots, GPS etc. My daughter and I leave tomorrow for our stake's girls camp. This is a real camp, and very enjoyable. There is a base camp and all girls start there and then the girls go out for hikes of various lengths. We will be going on a 16 mile roundtrip 3 day hike. plus 3 days in base camp. No tents, no cabins just us and the great outdoors. Should be fun. No web access, so I'll see you later.