cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2008, 09:29 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mission Mishaps, Sad Experience

Quote:
D&C 121:39 We have learned by sad experience that it is the nature and disposition of almost all men, as soon as they get a little authority, as they suppose, they will immediately begin to exercise unrighteous dominion
My daughter's bf is currently serving in South America, current location disguised to protect the guilty.

Nonetheless, after querying numerous books and mothers of missionaries as to what was proper to send, my daughter sent a package to her missionary bf including small items for the twenty-five days of Christmas. To her great embarrassment and disappointment, the South American mission president opened the bf's mail, confiscated items he deemed according to his own wisdom as "contrary to his undisclosed and personal interpretation of mission rules", so that the bf was to receive only three of the twenty-five items.

The girl's mother is not a wallflower such as the girl's father. The mother went into action calling SLC finding who was in charge and researching the law of the South American country to determine which laws he had broken, and apparently he had broken several. She found the person in charge, a relative of a ward member, btw, and informed him that he, the MP or the Church would replace the items free of charge. Or there would be Hades in North and South America. Knowing her mother like I do, I suggest they pay attention.

Who says women don't govern the Church.

Last edited by Archaea; 12-17-2008 at 09:57 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:35 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm chuckling here.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:37 PM   #3
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
My daughter's bf is currently serving in South America, current location disguised to protect the guilty.

Nonetheless, after querying numerous books and mothers of missionaries as to what was proper to send, my daughter sent a package to her missionary bf including small items for the twenty-five days of Christmas. To her great embarrassment and disappointment, the South American mission president opened the bf's mail, confiscated items he deemed according to his own wisdom as "contrary to his undisclosed and personal interpretation of mission rules", so that he was to receive only three of the twenty-five items.

The girl's mother is not a wallflower such as the girl's father. The mother went action calling SLC finding who was in charge and researching the law of the South American country to determine which laws he had broken, and apparently he had broken several. She found the person in charge, a relative of a ward member, btw, and informed him that he, the MP or the Church would replace the items free of charge. Or there would be Hades in North and South America. Knowing her mother like I do, I suggest they pay attention.

Opened his mail? What kind of weirdo MP does he have?
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:48 PM   #4
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Apparently, a soft stuffed soccer ball is a violation of mission rules. You may have a real soccer ball, but one designed for a pillow is an egregious violation of the amended White Bible.

Opening another's mail, that's even a violation of postal law there, go figure.

Last edited by Archaea; 12-17-2008 at 09:51 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:50 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
a liberal one, who think with his spiritual and intellectual superiority, that he knows what is best for everyone and will lord over everyone.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:58 PM   #6
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Nonetheless, after querying numerous books and mothers of missionaries as to what was proper to send, my daughter sent a package to her missionary bf including small items for the twenty-five days of Christmas. To her great embarrassment and disappointment, the South American mission president opened the bf's mail, confiscated items he deemed according to his own wisdom as "contrary to his undisclosed and personal interpretation of mission rules", so that the bf was to receive only three of the twenty-five items.

The girl's mother is not a wallflower such as the girl's father. The mother went into action calling SLC finding who was in charge and researching the law of the South American country to determine which laws he had broken, and apparently he had broken several. She found the person in charge, a relative of a ward member, btw, and informed him that he, the MP or the Church would replace the items free of charge. Or there would be Hades in North and South America. Knowing her mother like I do, I suggest they pay attention.

Well that seems a little extreme, on both sides.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:01 PM   #7
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Well that seems a little extreme, on both sides.
I agree. Members of the Church should turn a blind eye to leaders violating privacy and mail laws. That way other offenses can go unnoticed as well. Church governance works better in silence and obscurity.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:05 PM   #8
Archaea

My main concern for bf is not whether he gets his stuff but whether he will become a pariah, or spend his next months in the mission hellhole.

A personal aside. A daughter had made the volleyball team one year but failed to play much. This concerned as one time, she cried, "I didn't even get to help us lose."

So father took matters into her own hands, and wrote principal, wanting a meeting with the coach, being kind, polite but frank and direct. Apparently the coach got the message.

Daughter decided never again to tell parents about lack of playing time, as apparently the coach was none too pleased. Lesson learned.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:07 PM   #9
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

People need to get a grip about the fine print that goes along with raising their arm to the square.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:11 PM   #10
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

This is too funny. Having made the female Archaean's acquaintance, I can so imagine her calling up everyone between here and the Falklands trying to find out whom to hold accountable.

Sad for M, though. I bet she put her whole heart and most of her meager funds into that package.

I wonder if the MP wasn't in part concerned that the excessive generosity of the young Archaeanette would leave the other elders feeling a little unloved by comparison.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote