cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2008, 05:01 AM   #21
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Has anyone tried to sit through Caddyshack recently? I find the Rodney Dangerfield portions to be nearly unwatchable. The rest of the flick stands the test of time quite well.

Now, to my main point: how the hell does nobody have Karate Kid on the list? Allow me to be the first.

1) Hoosiers
2) Rudy
3) Karate Kid
4) Rocky I
5) Breaking Away
Are you crazy?

"Oh, this is the worst looking hat I ever saw.....what, when you buy a hat like this I bet you get a free bowl of soup........oh, it looks good on you, though..."

"I hear this place is restricted Wang, so don't tell them your Jewish, okay? Fine."

"Tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've have better food at the ball game...this steak still has marks where the jockey was hitting it..."

"Hey, you scratched my anchor..."

I still crack up when he goes into the golf shop and asks for a box of the "naked lady tees"

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 05:04 AM   #22
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
One of my old girlfriends thought this was the best movie ever she had ever seen so I agreed to see it with her. I told her I thought it was emotionally manipulative garbage. Things went downhill for us from there.
I suppose you didn't care much for the Church's "Families Are Forever" filmstrip, either?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 10-20-2008, 05:11 AM   #23
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Has anyone tried to sit through Caddyshack recently? I find the Rodney Dangerfield portions to be nearly unwatchable. The rest of the flick stands the test of time quite well.
I am one that never tires of Caddyshack. Not even Rodney. I love his one-liners as much today than when the movie was in the theaters.

"You scratched my anchor!" will always make me laugh.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 05:29 AM   #24
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

No one has mentioned "Field of Dreams". One of my friends has this near the top of his list and told me before I saw it that if you had ever played catch with your dad you would shed a tear or two. I saw it and it didn't do a thing for me. What are your thoughts on this movie?

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 05:34 AM   #25
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
No one has mentioned "Field of Dreams". One of my friends has this near the top of his list and told me before I saw it that if you had ever played catch with your dad you would shed a tear or two. I saw it and it didn't do a thing for me. What are your thoughts on this movie?
i think it is a good movie, but Kevin Costner is one of the worst actors of our time.

his being in the movie is what made me keep it off the list. but truthfully, i like it.

i never cried, though. didnt think it was THAT good.

I enjoyed 8 men out, now that I think about it (nothing to do with FOD, but just thought of it because they are both baseball movies)

Old 10-20-2008, 05:46 AM   #26
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
If it had been someone other than Costner, it would be a great movie. He is why I never saw For the Love of the Game.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:03 AM   #27
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

How did I forget the original Major League?
Old 10-20-2008, 01:37 PM   #28
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Kevin Costner isn't a bad actor. He's made some lousy movies for sure. But Field of Dreams isn't one of them. It's also a great book. Field of Dreams is my all time favorite movie. I think Bill Simmons wrote an article a while back that Kevin Costner and Dennis Quaid could be interchanged in any movie for each other. I couldn't disagree with that.

1. Field of Dreams
2. Hoosiers
3. Brian's Song
4. Chariots of Fire
5. The Natural

Honorable Mention: Tin Cup, The Longest Yard, 61*, Bull Durham, Rad, Gleaming the Cube, North Shore, Endless Summer 1 & 2, and the two best snowboarding movies ever Shakedown and Chulksmack.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:01 PM   #29
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
One of the most overated Sports movies ever made.

Boring from beginning to end.

And sorry, it's just not that emotional.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:04 PM   #30
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

I like many of the ones mentioned...with Miracle probably toping the list, although I can turn Rudy on at any minute and be glued.

Also, the Greatest Game Ever Played is a very good movie, and I'd throw in A League of Their Own...strictly for Tom Hanks.

Oh, and the Hurricane.
DrumNFeather is offline   Reply With Quote