cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2012, 01:39 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SLTrib article on women in the church

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/lifesty...neral.html.csp

I have long agreed that we waste the talents of women in the church by not giving them more of a role.

I strongly support expanding the role of women where fundamental changes in doctrine are not required (i.e. ordination of women).

If revelation were to come that women were to be ordained, I would not protest. But I don't think that is happening anytime soon.

My father was in a bishopric that installed a woman as Sunday School President. She served for about a year and then they realized they had broken church policy. And released her.

Think about how dumb that is. A woman can't serve as Sunday School President.

Why can't a woman serve as Ward Mission Leader, and in other positions?

Dumb, dumb, dumb.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:38 PM   #2
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/lifesty...neral.html.csp

I have long agreed that we waste the talents of women in the church by not giving them more of a role.

I strongly support expanding the role of women where fundamental changes in doctrine are not required (i.e. ordination of women).

If revelation were to come that women were to be ordained, I would not protest. But I don't think that is happening anytime soon.

My father was in a bishopric that installed a woman as Sunday School President. She served for about a year and then they realized they had broken church policy. And released her.

Think about how dumb that is. A woman can't serve as Sunday School President.

Why can't a woman serve as Ward Mission Leader, and in other positions?

Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Dunno. But anyone who actually wants to be a Bishop or in the Bishopric is quite mad.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:54 PM   #3
Zulu451
house-elf 3rd class

Zulu451 is on a distinguished road

I don't usually comment much because I don't have the time to go back and forth. I would also whole heartedly support change in practice in the way the church does callings, as long as that came down from the prophet. I don't know why things are the way they are, or why they do not change as fast as people want them to change.

This is a tough issue as there are so many very intelligent women who could do much better than we can in leadership roles.

Here is my take:
1) The LDS church is a vessel of mortality, the purpose of which is to provide a source of doctrine and structure for the dissemination of revelation, guidance and to administer the ordinances of the priesthood. This provides a coherent organization and structure for the gospel. I doubt that there will be a LDS church in there hereafter, but another structure and organization to administer the gospel, teach and learn. Organization is a Godly attribute.
2) The eternal rewards of women are no less than what a man will receive. There is no special kingdom of glory for men that a woman will not receive as well.
3) Why then does it matter where and in what capacity you serve if you will receive the same eternal reward as the prophet?
This is the part that the pot bangers dont want to hear. It doesn't matter one bit what you do in the church, it is how you do it. Yes it is tough for a woman who is a CEO, or marvelous author and great leader of people outside of the church to humble herself and follow the council of a priesthood leader. Maybe, this is "the thorn of the flesh" for that individual.
In the BOM, many of the apostates (Amalekiah) start off stirring up the emotions of the people and thinking that they know what is best (having a king and doing away with the liberty of the people).

The people who are aspiring to power in the church and feel oppressed because they are not given it are treading a very slippery road of allowing their emotions to be stirred up to rebellion against the organization and driving a wedge between them and source of revelation and those given authority to act in God's name.

We members, men and women get caught up in defining the value of ourselves in how others view and see us. What am I doing that I can show people that gives me value?
Old 08-20-2012, 11:38 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

you know that there are many branches and ward in the church in which there are few to no active strong priesthood, but lots of strong active women.

I think a positive step has been the church empowering ward councils. As I understand it, the ward councils are supposed to have more power now, and not just take orders from the Bishopric. As it happens, women are more represented in the Ward Council than they are in the Bishopric.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:56 PM   #5
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

If women are priestesses, why are they not extended the blessings of the priesthood?
Old 08-21-2012, 05:12 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

we can't even really talk about "Heavenly Mother" much less about the role of priestesses.

We just haven't had the persons in authority really explain the doctrine.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:14 PM   #7
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
we can't even really talk about "Heavenly Mother" much less about the role of priestesses.

We just haven't had the persons in authority really explain the doctrine.
Apparently, revelation skips a generation or two of our leaders.