cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2009, 02:34 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sacrament

Today one of the priests had to bless the bread 4 times, with a brief conversation with the Bishopric interspersed between a couple of the prayers.

Ironically, the Sacrament Bandit got his prayer right the first time.

But repeats of the prayers are very common in my ward. That's nothing.

Today was an all-time first. One of the deacons returned tot he table without his bread tray. He was gesturing as he walked up to the table, with both hands up like "what am I supposed to do? I don't have my tray." So right before he gets to the table, he heads back to the pews to...duh....go get his bread tray. That was a first. I had never seen that before.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 03:01 AM   #2
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

I sat on the end of a middle row and nobody was there for me to hand the tray to. I guess the deacons were multi tasking. So I turned around and handed it to the lady behind me. Who needs deacons anyway?
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 03:06 AM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I've always wanted to have each deacon have two trays on a particular Sunday and finish the sacrament in half the time. And thereby turn the speakers and the remaining time into full chaos.

But seriously, why not make it more efficient.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 03:32 AM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I've always wanted to have each deacon have two trays on a particular Sunday and finish the sacrament in half the time. And thereby turn the speakers and the remaining time into full chaos.

But seriously, why not make it more efficient.
If we wanted efficiency, we wouldn't allow minors to handle the sacrament duties.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 02:23 PM   #5
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually when my uncle was bishop, the deacons had two trays and would handle two rows at a time.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 07:07 AM   #6
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Our elders quorum president informed us on Sunday that if ever there were many empty seats between us and a sister, it was our priesthood duty to go get the sacrament tray from the sisters lest she be forced to get up and carry the tray over to the Elder.

(To be fair, it was more an issue of courtesy to the sister than of authority to carry the tray.)
Old 01-20-2009, 12:35 PM   #7
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

One of my old bishops had a policy; if the Priest messed up on his first attempt at blessing the sacrament, he had him do it over, but no more after that, he just let it go.

I would absolutely oppose increasing sacrament efficiency. If I fall asleep during the sacrament, it looks like I am in deep contemplation. If I fall asleep during a speaker, it looks like I have fallen asleep. I wish the sacrament would take up 30 minutes.
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:51 PM   #8
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

Our first sacrament prayer sounded so professional, I actually sat there staring for a while, looking for the stereo device they must have used to play the recorded prayer. Seriously. It sounded like the recorded voice they play in the temple. I was in the second row, so I spent the next while imagining there was some pilot program to automate the sacrament prayers, and they were holding the mic to the stereo, hoping we wouldn't notice. Then, the water prayer came, and it was just the same old kid I'm used to hearing. I was a little disappointed because that would have been something to talk about.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:58 AM   #9
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe strenuously that bishops insist the priests get the prayer word perfect -- otherwise God is going to get confused.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 04:12 AM   #10
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
I believe strenuously that bishops insist the priests get the prayer word perfect -- otherwise God is going to get confused.
I agree. Clearly that's the intent.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote