cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2007, 05:34 PM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default "Hellenization of Christianity" a bad thing?

Go to the FARMS/FAIR web site and you can dig up a host of articles condemning the "Hellenization of Christianity." This is really what Harold Bloom finds offensive about mainstream Christianity when you get right down to it.

I submit that this notion is as silly as wishing your parents had never met. Christianity can be defined as the fusing of the two seminal strands of Western Civilization--the Hebreic and the Hellenistic. This occurred at a unique place and time, in Judea, becuase of Alexander the Great's and subsequently imperial Rome's conquering and civilizing achievements.

Needless to say, Hebreism, which begat the Old Testament, and invented monotheism, was an essential ingredient of Christianity. But it was Paul's Hellenizatoin of Hebreism that enabled the new religion to nearly take over the Western World.

But even if one could speculate about the growth potential of Hebreism absent its Hellenization, what would you have? I submit something pretty backward. Islam may be a rough approximation. Islam's best years were when it was Hellenized.

In any event, it's like imagining what you'd be if your parents never met.

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 05-21-2007 at 05:42 PM.
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 06:21 PM   #2
SeattleUte

What a shame that a thread about demonic possession gets dozens of replies and a thousand hits and this subject, vital to how Mormonism differentiates itself and understanding ourselves, has no takers.

—Paul Auster
Old 05-21-2007, 06:34 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Not certain what to add, that's why I haven't responded.

To me, it's a complex issue, fraught with good and bad. Overall, Hellenization did allow Christianity to flourish and couple itself with empirical logic thereby tying itself to the star that led us to a modern ages.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:39 PM   #4
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
What a shame that a thread about demonic possession gets dozens of replies and a thousand hits and this subject, vital to how Mormonism differentiates itself and understanding ourselves, has no takers.
Your original post is at 10:34, followed by an edit at 10:42. Your follow-up was at 11:21. How dare we wait almost an hour before responding to your thread. Seriously, however, the premise for your post was a group of articles you referred to at the FAIR/FARMS website. Would it help if I posted without having looked at those? Seems rather pointless to me.

LBP
Old 05-21-2007, 06:48 PM   #5
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Your original post is at 10:34, followed by an edit at 10:42. Your follow-up was at 11:21. How dare we wait almost an hour before responding to your thread. Seriously, however, the premise for your post was a group of articles you referred to at the FAIR/FARMS website. Would it help if I posted without having looked at those? Seems rather pointless to me.

LBP
FARMS is part of BYU and therefore part of the LDS Church. But okay, fine, who cares about FARMS; forget FARMS. It wasn't a predictate but a rhetorical device for framing the issue. The issue stands on its own.

—Paul Auster
Old 05-21-2007, 06:58 PM   #6
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
FARMS is part of BYU and therefore part of the LDS Church.
What do you mean "part of the LDS Church"?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 07:01 PM   #7
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

What issue? That it is silly to bemoan the hellenization of chirsitanity? Silly from what perspective? i assumed I would need to look at the articels to know. Silly in the sense that you stateit, menaing it is what it is so why lament what can't be undone? Or perhaps from the point of view that regardless of what it is, the change was undesreiable for doctrinal reasons? WHat argument from these or others are you trying to have?
Old 05-21-2007, 07:12 PM   #8
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Without reading his articles, I suppose there is some "tainting" of Christian thinking with Greek thought, specifically, it's focus upon empiricism and some of its sexuality. That would be the only reason I can imagine a Christian can bemoan association with Greek culture and thought.

Our society would not be as prevalent and successful without the development of Greek thought, or so I believe.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:31 PM   #9
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

What you call "hellenization" we call "apostasy." The church changed to the point that it was no longer the same church that Jesus established-- though, in all likelihood, hellenization only finished off what so-called Judaisers had started.

Might I submit that one reason this thread isn't getting the attention you wish is that you make yourself a difficult person to take seriously when it comes to religion?

Last edited by All-American; 05-21-2007 at 07:47 PM.
All-American is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 08:55 PM   #10
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
What you call "hellenization" we call "apostasy."
Exactly. I think the reason this thread is being largely ignored is it demonstrates the absurdity of the very concept a "great apostasy." It's like saying it's a bad thing that your parents ever met one another, that you'd have been better off in some alternate universe.

—Paul Auster