cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2007, 09:56 PM   #31
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
I know this is going to sound kind of strange, but I kind of appreciated SU's response. Sure, he probably engaged in some pettifoggery, but you can hardly blame him for that. I am probably too sensitive about this issue because of close family members that are mentally ill. I hope members didn't assume or presume demonic possession or any spiritual ramifications about one of my sibling's Schizophrenia.

I do not intend to suggest that he is necessarily wrong about this particualr issue (although as an absolute he very well may be). My quarrel is more with his trieless and tedious approach to matters of belief. My post is more appropriate in some other thread, as it really has little to do with the specific topic here. I withdraw it, reserving the right to raise it later in a more appropriate discussion.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:01 PM   #32
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Yes. I think someone needed to say this. To apply the epithet of demonic possession to something as real and serious and medically treatable as mental illness is medieval, and cruel, not unlike what happened in Salem. It's a classic example of religion run amok.

And in this thread we even have suggestion that apostates are possessed.

Truly, this type of talk is not fit for college educated people in modern times.
At no point in time did anyone suggest that an apostate was possessed because of his apostacy. In fact the point being made by mentioning the apostacy was that his life has taken a turn that no longer allows me to make assumptions as to how moral/immoral he may be, or what he may or may not have become involved in since his move out of state. As clearly stated before I don't know if he was possessed, all I know is that he freaked me out, and he quite obviously wasn't trying to do anything of the kind.

Not unlike what happened in Salem? You've got to be kidding. That's quite a leap you're making there pal. I haven't seen a single post suggesting a hanging of the mentally ill. Classic example of someone exaggerating the issue in order to feel more secure in their own opinion.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 10:27 PM   #33
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wait, so am I the only one who experienced this on their mission:

a. Companions punching a hole in a cinderblock wall and afterwards handling 5 Elders physically who outweighed him collectively by over a thousand lbs....

b. Companions attempting to commit suicide by walking into a freeway's oncoming traffic....

c. Women who are able to ward off 5 grown men.....

d. Companions who write letters in perfect english describing how he is going to kill you, who grew up in the jungle and is not educated.....

e. Random dudes approaching you in the street, calling you by your first name, and telling you to get out of his area.....

As one can read I had some very interesting experiences on my mission, and attribute a few of them to mental disorders, but have no logical explanation for the others.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 10:36 PM   #34
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post

a. Companions punching a hole in a cinderblock wall and afterwards handling 5 Elders physically who outweighed him collectively by over a thousand lbs....

b. Companions attempting to commit suicide by walking into a freeway's oncoming traffic....

d. Companions who write letters in perfect english describing how he is going to kill you, who grew up in the jungle and is not educated.....

e. Random dudes approaching you in the street, calling you by your first name, and telling you to get out of his area.....

As one can read I had some very interesting experiences on my mission, and attribute a few of them to mental disorders, but have no logical explanation for the others.
Yes, yes you were. Gotta love South America.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 11:13 PM   #35
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post

TROLL ALERT

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 11:36 PM   #36
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
TROLL ALERT
Fusnik is, oddly enough, not the one that I would call a troll in this thread.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 01:59 AM   #37
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
I agree whole heartedly.

Seattle - we know you choose to not believe. We know you feel that it because you are educated that you choose not to believe.

We just don't care that you choose not to believe. Surely your college education can see the rationality behind that.

If you don't like the thread, don't participate. It really is that simple.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 02:14 AM   #38
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
I can't believe I'm saying this,,,but I agree. Fus is far from the troll in this thread and though I think he tends to exaggerate often and works to get reactions out of individuals....Seattle is the deliberate culprit in this thread.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 05-17-2007 at 02:17 AM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 03:50 AM   #39
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Fusnik is the one making up fanciful stories to draw in all the gullible ones who believe in ghosts. I assuure you he doesn't and that what he describes never happened and he knows it and he is having a laugh about it. I'm not a troll if I calls it as I sees it. A troll is one who takes on a persona to bait.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 04:04 AM   #40
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Fusnik is the one making up fanciful stories to draw in all the gullible ones who believe in ghosts. I assuure you he doesn't and that what he describes never happened and he knows it and he is having a laugh about it. I'm not a troll if I calls it as I sees it. A troll is one who takes on a persona to bait.
Why always so full of contempt and indignation?