cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2007, 02:49 PM   #11
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

I think people should just learn the original languages. That will solve all sorts of problems.

To paraphrase Joseph Smith: "I teach them ancient languages, and they translate themselves."

Old 01-23-2007, 03:06 PM   #12
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

The Bible is such a hodgepodge collection of writings and so rife with incompetent translation and deliberate omissions/mistranslations to render it largely useless.

Why else did the Book of Mormon contain numerous Isaiah chapters? Why else did the Pearl of Great Price come forth?

The New Testament has some value as it contains an account of the ministry and Atonement of Christ, but the bulk of the Bible is a waste of time; given what can be found in the other standard works.

Flame away.

P.S. God did forbid Nephi to write down his vision that was also recorded by John the Beloved in Revelation, so I'll concede that book has value too.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 04:26 PM   #13
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road
Default other languages

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
While spending time in the blessed Arkansas-Little Rock mission, I found the eXtreme Teen Bible was quite popular amongst the locals. A Jesus who said "wassup" was more appealing.
Is there an Ebonics translation with street cred available in Oakland?

Last edited by hyrum; 01-23-2007 at 04:26 PM. Reason: typo
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 04:36 PM   #14
Indy Coug

'...And Lot's daughters got jiggy with it and started knockin' da boots...'
Old 01-23-2007, 04:39 PM   #15
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
The Bible is such a hodgepodge collection of writings and so rife with incompetent translation and deliberate omissions/mistranslations to render it largely useless.

Why else did the Book of Mormon contain numerous Isaiah chapters? Why else did the Pearl of Great Price come forth?

The New Testament has some value as it contains an account of the ministry and Atonement of Christ, but the bulk of the Bible is a waste of time; given what can be found in the other standard works.

Flame away.

P.S. God did forbid Nephi to write down his vision that was also recorded by John the Beloved in Revelation, so I'll concede that book has value too.
You're joking, right?
Old 01-23-2007, 05:35 PM   #16
Indy Coug

Not really. I was a little dramatic, but that essentially summarizes my attitude.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:04 PM   #17
Chapel-Hill-Coug

Chapel-Hill-Coug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wow...

Quote:
Not really. I was a little dramatic, but that essentially summarizes my attitude.
Then I guess you'd have no objection if the LDS church ever started using a decent translation so that those of us who would like to understand the Bible can benefit. THE best translation out there and one that could rid the exegetical cobwebs out of LDS theology once and for all is the NRSV. As an example just read the *real* translation of 1 Cor 15:40-42 in the NRSV and you'll see what I mean.
Chapel-Hill-Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 07:10 PM   #18
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Just enjoy the KJV. It's great art, i.e., great literature (unlike the Book of Mormon). That's the purpose of great literature, sublime enjoyment through psychic reward of great art. Accept the KJV for what it is and you will maximize your enjoyment of it. It never pretended to be an exact translation of anything. The people who created it didn't pretend to be proxies for the finger of God. They were pretty smart.

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 01-23-2007 at 07:15 PM.
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 07:14 PM   #19
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapel-Hill-Coug View Post
Then I guess you'd have no objection if the LDS church ever started using a decent translation so that those of us who would like to understand the Bible can benefit. THE best translation out there and one that could rid the exegetical cobwebs out of LDS theology once and for all is the NRSV. As an example just read the *real* translation of 1 Cor 15:40-42 in the NRSV and you'll see what I mean.
Exegetical? Who thought I would have to think so hard to keep up with a stinkin' sports board?
Old 01-23-2007, 07:14 PM   #20
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:

Flame away.

Indy, all I have to say in response to this drivel is you have demonstrable native intelligence and a keen insight into some things. It's a pity; you are capable of so much more.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote