cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2006, 04:03 PM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default "Metaphysical Mutations"

So I'm reading another of the Frenchman Michel Houelebecq's novels, entitled "The Elementary Particles." I came across the following splendid passage (fortunately I was able to find it quoted on the Internet so I could easily reproduce it here):

"Metaphysical mutations--that is to say radical, global transformations in the values to which the majority subscribe--are rare in the history of humanity. The rise of Christianity might be cited as an example.

"Once a metaphysical mutation has arisen, it tends to move inexorably toward its logical conclusion. Heedlessly, it sweeps away economic and political systems, aesthetic judgments and social hierarchies. No human agency can halt its progress--nothing except another metaphysical mutation.

"It is a fallacy that such metaphysical mutations gain ground only in weakened or declining societies. When Christianity appeared, the Roman Empire was at the height of its powers: supremely organized, it dominated the known world; its technical and military prowess had no rival. Nonetheless, it had no chance. When modern science appeared, medieval Christianity was a complete, comprehensive system which explained both man and the universe; it was the basis for government, the inspiration for knowledge and art, the arbiter of war as of peace and the power behind the production and distribution of wealth--none of which was sufficient to prevent its downfall."

"The Elementary Particles," Prologue (Vintage 2000).

I think this quote is a great summary of a sublime process. Do you agree? Is Mormonism a metaphysical mutation? Discuss.

By the way, it's stuff like this that make Houelebecq's novels such so sensational. He's very unorthodox, as a novelist. His works are comprised of these pungent little essays amid a story.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 04:56 PM   #2
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
So I'm reading another of the Frenchman Michel Houelebecq's novels, entitled "The Elementary Particles." I came across the following splendid passage (fortunately I was able to find it quoted on the Internet so I could easily reproduce it here):

"Metaphysical mutations--that is to say radical, global transformations in the values to which the majority subscribe--are rare in the history of humanity. The rise of Christianity might be cited as an example.

"Once a metaphysical mutation has arisen, it tends to move inexorably toward its logical conclusion. Heedlessly, it sweeps away economic and political systems, aesthetic judgments and social hierarchies. No human agency can halt its progress--nothing except another metaphysical mutation.

"It is a fallacy that such metaphysical mutations gain ground only in weakened or declining societies. When Christianity appeared, the Roman Empire was at the height of its powers: supremely organized, it dominated the known world; its technical and military prowess had no rival. Nonetheless, it had no chance. When modern science appeared, medieval Christianity was a complete, comprehensive system which explained both man and the universe; it was the basis for government, the inspiration for knowledge and art, the arbiter of war as of peace and the power behind the production and distribution of wealth--none of which was sufficient to prevent its downfall."

"The Elementary Particles," Prologue (Vintage 2000).

I think this quote is a great summary of a sublime process. Do you agree? Is Mormonism a metaphysical mutation? Discuss.

By the way, it's stuff like this that make Houelebecq's novels such so sensational. He's very unorthodox, as a novelist. His works are comprised of these pungent little essays amid a story.
I think the only folks who should be allowed to use the direction "discuss" on an internet board are those cool enough and inspired enough to have their own blogging page. Without an independently owned and operated blogging page how are you qualified to instruct others to discuss the pearls of wisdom you choose to lob before the huddled swine?

So I axe you (in my best Mona Lisa Vito voice from the great American cinematic classic "My Cousin Vinny") are you a blogger?

I actually think his conclusion has merit and the degree to which a force, let it be political or intellectual or religious, becomes a metaphysical mutation is probably dicated by its success in its own sphere or how it defines success. I think a metaphysical mutation sounds pretty damn gay, so I will vote no.

Besides that the idea came from a frenshmon, I think my prejudicial opinions on those folks are well documented. Beyond a blogger only use of "discuss" rule I think cheese eating surrender monkies should not be allowed to use witty phrases that start with the same sound. Isn't that like alliteration or something like that????????
Old 10-06-2006, 05:00 PM   #3
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
I think the only folks who should be allowed to use the direction "discuss" on an internet board are those cool enough and inspired enough to have their own blogging page. Without an independently owned and operated blogging page how are you qualified to instruct others to discuss the pearls of wisdom you choose to lob before the huddled swine?

So I axe you (in my best Mona Lisa Vito voice from the great American cinematic classic "My Cousin Vinny") are you a blogger?

I actually think his conclusion has merit and the degree to which a force, let it be political or intellectual or religious, becomes a metaphysical mutation is probably dicated by its success in its own sphere or how it defines success. I think a metaphysical mutation sounds pretty damn gay, so I will vote no.

Besides that the idea came from a frenshmon, I think my prejudicial opinions on those folks are well documented. Beyond a blogger only use of "discuss" rule I think cheese eating surrender monkies should not be allowed to use witty phrases that start with the same sound. Isn't that like alliteration or something like that????????
Normally I would agree with you, but I think if the quotation comes from a Frenchman's celebrated existentialist novel that ipso facto justifies the "discuss" directive.

—Paul Auster
Old 10-06-2006, 05:56 PM   #4
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

ANy call to action involving Frenchmen can, by defintion, result only in the command "discuss."
Old 10-06-2006, 06:12 PM   #5
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Isn't there a certain irony in calling the rise of science a metaphysical mutation?
Old 10-06-2006, 06:27 PM   #6
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
ANy call to action involving Frenchmen can, by defintion, result only in the command "discuss."
Excellent catch. Folks like Ohio claim science is itself a religion, so it's hard to say.

—Paul Auster