cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2015, 03:33 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default "closer to Christ"

I recently read where someone wrote that General Authorities are "closer to Christ." Than non-GAs (I assume that is what he meant).

In my opinion, General Authorities have certain keys that non-GAs do not, and would be able to receive revelation related to their stewardship that others would not.

But that has nothing to do with "closeness" to Christ. Not because GAs cannot or are not close to Christ. But rather because everyone on this earth can be close to Christ in a way that is not dictated by worldly station or religious office.

That Christ cannot be close to a child who is suffering, in relation to someone else? That Christ does not comfort the afflicted to the same degree?

There is an element of hero worship here going on this is unwise and unfounded. And a lot of it is underestimating your own personal ability to have a relationship with God.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 05:21 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I recently read where someone wrote that General Authorities are "closer to Christ." Than non-GAs (I assume that is what he meant).

In my opinion, General Authorities have certain keys that non-GAs do not, and would be able to receive revelation related to their stewardship that others would not.

But that has nothing to do with "closeness" to Christ. Not because GAs cannot or are not close to Christ. But rather because everyone on this earth can be close to Christ in a way that is not dictated by worldly station or religious office.

That Christ cannot be close to a child who is suffering, in relation to someone else? That Christ does not comfort the afflicted to the same degree?

There is an element of hero worship here going on this is unwise and unfounded. And a lot of it is underestimating your own personal ability to have a relationship with God.
The genius of Joseph Smith when compared to some of his contemporaries was that each man, woman and child could have a direct relationship with God without an intermediary of a priest. It was often cited that Moses wanted each person to be a prophet. This is at the core of Joseph's message.

However, in each religious movement, once the charismatic leader is gone, the bureaucrats step in and must make their authority commensurate with or handed down by God. It cements their abilities.

Yes each person can have a direct relationship but "....."

This tension has not been resolved within Mormonism, but if it yields more in the direction of bureaucracy then Mormonism will suffer.