cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2009, 02:13 AM   #31
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
It's a fair question; one that others might have too.

I’m not so sure the scriptures teach that we will have the same desires as a resurrected being that we had as mortals. After all, the body we receive will be incorruptible: no need of eating or washing; no chance of illness, injury, or death. Those are not trivial changes and must undoubtedly have an impact on our desires. I think it’s fair to assume that by definition, temptations and complications associated with a corruptible physical body will be gone.

What the scriptures do say is that those resurrected bodies will be inhabited by the same spirit that possessed them in mortality. To me, that simply means that we don’t magically become a different person when we’re resurrected--that the deeds done in the body affect how we will be judged.

I also think you’re confusing the biology issue a little. A sin or temptation can be associated with physical nature without being inborn. Drug addiction, for example, is not “in your DNA,” but is still a weakness associated with the flesh.

I think it would be hard to make a compelling argument that homosexuality existed premortally or exists postmortally. Is that the argument you are making? You didn’t really answer my question.
What do you mean that drug addiction is not in your DNA?

Are you saying that drug addiction has no biological basis?

Sex is different than drugs. Not every person uses drugs. I may have a perfect biological setup to be a drug addict. But because I never take drugs, it never comes into play.

It is the extremely rare individual for whom sexual desire never comes into play. Did I choose to have sexual desire? I think I can speak for most--it just kind of happened. Is this desire to be wiped away in the next life, if pointed in the wrong direction, but kept in place if pointed in the correct direction? Who knows. We don't even know what the streets in heaven are paid with, much less how wide the lanes are.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:47 PM   #32
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
What do you mean that drug addiction is not in your DNA?

Are you saying that drug addiction has no biological basis?
I am saying no one is born addicted to a drug w/o that drug having been introduced into their biological system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
It is the extremely rare individual for whom sexual desire never comes into play. Did I choose to have sexual desire? I think I can speak for most--it just kind of happened. Is this desire to be wiped away in the next life, if pointed in the wrong direction, but kept in place if pointed in the correct direction? Who knows. We don't even know what the streets in heaven are paid with, much less how wide the lanes are.
So if I understand you correctly, you are leaving the doctrinal door open on homosexuality existing in the afterlife?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:48 PM   #33
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
Does this put the Nephites on par with the Taliban? In some respects, I think it does.
Levin, you may want to be a little more specific on those "some respects," because your assertion on its face is a little silly.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote