cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2009, 10:40 PM   #21
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Argument by authority or argument by association? Hmm....

You can do better than that Sooner.
It's an opinion. Read the way Tex shared his opinion about Hafen being smart, and it'll make more sense.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 04:13 AM   #22
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
It's an opinion. Read the way Tex shared his opinion about Hafen being smart, and it'll make more sense.
Good point. Your handful of visits to his living room really stacks up well against his list of professional accomplishments.

To get back to the topic, though ... I'm curious why this statement about being resurrected with normal attractions causes such handwringing. Those of you who are bothered by that statement: what do you believe about the state of those with same-sex attraction in the afterlife? Do you think they'll still have it?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 10:41 AM   #23
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Good point. Your handful of visits to his living room really stacks up well against his list of professional accomplishments.

To get back to the topic, though ... I'm curious why this statement about being resurrected with normal attractions causes such handwringing. Those of you who are bothered by that statement: what do you believe about the state of those with same-sex attraction in the afterlife? Do you think they'll still have it?
I believe it has been taught that when we die we will still possess the same desires that we had while living, and that if those desires are evil or wrong, it will be much harder to change to them after death.

So here we have a promise that SSA will be wiped away, like some kind of physical handicap, while at the same time we are told that SSA is not biological.

Do you see a disconnect?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 05:26 PM   #24
Valentinus1

Valentinus1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
sort of like a test that weeds out idiots who register for two gmail accounts and two usernames on this site?
Whoops! I put in my school email instead of my personal. Stupid mistake but thank you for a menial remark Mr. Waters.

Valentinus
Valentinus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 05:30 PM   #25
Valentinus1

Valentinus1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Not that I give a one-post drive-by much credence, but just in case someone else here actually thinks Hafen is a "joke", here are a few of his professional accomplishments:

JD from the U
President of Ricks College
Dean of the BYU Law School
BYU Provost

I've met him and his wife Marie on a few occasions (though they wouldn't know me from Adam) and whatever one thinks of his position on homosexuality, he certainly is not an idiot.
Its not necessarily a drive by. I was short on time and I spoke quickly about how I felt about the statement. When I referred to Mr. Hafen as a joke, it was directed toward an uneducated remark that is faith-promoting. It lacks depth and holds no integrity.

Good for him on being an authority figure at LDS only institutions. Does he have a substantial credentials that could be recognized alongside say Harvard, Yale, or Princeton or maybe even UNC Chapel Hill?

Valentinus
Valentinus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 02:21 PM   #26
Tex

Quote:
I believe it has been taught that when we die we will still possess the same desires that we had while living, and that if those desires are evil or wrong, it will be much harder to change to them after death.

So here we have a promise that SSA will be wiped away, like some kind of physical handicap, while at the same time we are told that SSA is not biological.

Do you see a disconnect?
It's a fair question; one that others might have too.

I’m not so sure the scriptures teach that we will have the same desires as a resurrected being that we had as mortals. After all, the body we receive will be incorruptible: no need of eating or washing; no chance of illness, injury, or death. Those are not trivial changes and must undoubtedly have an impact on our desires. I think it’s fair to assume that by definition, temptations and complications associated with a corruptible physical body will be gone.

What the scriptures do say is that those resurrected bodies will be inhabited by the same spirit that possessed them in mortality. To me, that simply means that we don’t magically become a different person when we’re resurrected--that the deeds done in the body affect how we will be judged.

I also think you’re confusing the biology issue a little. A sin or temptation can be associated with physical nature without being inborn. Drug addiction, for example, is not “in your DNA,” but is still a weakness associated with the flesh.

I think it would be hard to make a compelling argument that homosexuality existed premortally or exists postmortally. Is that the argument you are making? You didn’t really answer my question.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 10-02-2009, 02:23 PM   #27
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentinus1 View Post
Its not necessarily a drive by. I was short on time and I spoke quickly about how I felt about the statement. When I referred to Mr. Hafen as a joke, it was directed toward an uneducated remark that is faith-promoting. It lacks depth and holds no integrity.

Good for him on being an authority figure at LDS only institutions. Does he have a substantial credentials that could be recognized alongside say Harvard, Yale, or Princeton or maybe even UNC Chapel Hill?

Valentinus
I was about to answer you seriously, until I saw you're just yet another troll.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 10-02-2009, 03:26 PM   #28
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Let us each work out our salvation with fear and trembling. And about gays, treat them with love and dignity, invite them into our lives, bring them into our church family as far as they are "legally" allowed, and let God work it out.
I agree with this. But I'm troubled by the opposite practice of God's people in the Bible and Book of Mormon. Those godly societies tolerated none of it; capital punishment. How do you account for this?
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 04:19 PM   #29
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
I agree with this. But I'm troubled by the opposite practice of God's people in the Bible and Book of Mormon. Those godly societies tolerated none of it; capital punishment. How do you account for this?
All I have to do is look at the Taliban to realize I want no part in a religious society with no tolerance.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 05:34 PM   #30
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
All I have to do is look at the Taliban to realize I want no part in a religious society with no tolerance.
Does this put the Nephites on par with the Taliban? In some respects, I think it does.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote