cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2009, 10:52 PM   #21
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
No.

For the same reason that the following maxim holds true: "If you want something to get done, assign it to a busy person."

A family with 10+ kids in my ward, every fast Sunday, volunteers at a soup kitchen for the homeless. In fact, here we see in terms of raw numbers, there service is greater.

Not to mention the service that is directed towards the children themselves, by the parents.

If you took your line of thinking to its conclusion, the people best able to serve humanity would be the ones that have NO children. And I reject that on its face, because if everyone did this, humanity would end. A great service to humanity is rearing good, decent human beings who multiply your values and work.
There is a great value in this approach.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:04 AM   #22
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
I never said anything about a legacy being a job. I agree that it passes in terms of who you are and probably is made greater in terms of how much service you give those around you. Which probably has little to do with how many children you bear.

If that's true, then, would you be more likely to be able to serve more with fewer children?
Are you arguing for the sake of arguing, b/c this is crazy talk.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:52 AM   #23
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
sure it does. In a hundred years, her genetic and cultural influence will be extraordinarily more than yours.

You have two kids. One is gay and other has 2 kids. Those 2 kids have 2 kids. So now you have 2 great-grandchildren. One has 1 kid, the other has 2 kids. Now you have 3 great-great grandchildren. And so on.

Well the lady with 8 kids. Each of them averages 4 kids. And each of those grandchildren averages 3 children. 96 great-grandchildren. Compared to your 2. If each of those g-grandchildren averages 2 kids, then she has 192 great-great grandchildren. You have 3.

But my, YOUR great-great grandchildren will be SO talented. They will be pure delights. But sadly, they died in a car wreck. Your line ended. The end.
Too bad I can't find the clip of the family tree in the movie idiocracy. This would illustrate your point perfectly
Old 02-11-2009, 03:21 PM   #24
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
Are you arguing for the sake of arguing, b/c this is crazy talk.
No, not for the sake of arguing, but I am interested in the topic, so I continue to ask questions. I genuinely don't see how your life is better used by having more children. Perhaps it could be for some.

If most Mormons believe this (do you? I still don't even know as no one has responded to that portion of the inquiry)--why have sizes of families among Mormons shrunk?
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:23 PM   #25
Archaea

Quote:
No, not for the sake of arguing, but I am interested in the topic, so I continue to ask questions. I genuinely don't see how your life is better used by having more children. Perhaps it could be for some.

If most Mormons believe this (do you? I still don't even know as no one has responded to that portion of the inquiry)--why have sizes of families among Mormons shrunk?
i don't believe more is always better but neither is less always best.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:24 PM   #26
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

duh. because they don't believe.

In many ways, Mormons are marching towards just being a non-peculiar people with non-peculiar beliefs.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:28 PM   #27
Archaea

Quote:
duh. because they don't believe.

In many ways, Mormons are marching towards just being a non-peculiar people with non-peculiar beliefs.
We no longer are distinct. Do you believe in the three hour track?

We no longer have prophets in the truest sense, just administrative gatekeepers. Visions and miracles have ceased.

Where are JS's visions, those that proclaim to have touched the hands of Christ, or those who wrestle with the great questions?

We have become Borg, IBM and our distinctions are no more, lest you wear a white shirt.

Last edited by Archaea; 02-11-2009 at 03:39 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:38 PM   #28
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
We no longer are distinct. Do you believe in the three hour track?

We no longer have prophets in the truest sense, just administrative gatekeepers. Visions and miracles have ceased.

Where JS's visions, those that proclaim to have touched the hands of Christ, or those who wrestle with the great questions?

We have become Borg, IBM and our distinctions are no more, lest you wear a white shirt.
you may be right, or not. But if you are, it doesn't mean that it will always be so.

For some men, the future is not written yet.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:40 PM   #29
Archaea

Quote:
you may be right, or not. But if you are, it doesn't mean that it will always be so.

For some men, the future is not written yet.
Ambivalence?

From where will the power come to be invested again? When will visions return?

The passion of Mormonism is sleeping, hopefully not dead.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:14 PM   #30
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:

If a person has the opportunity, and has the choice whether to have children or not, in 99.999999999999999% of cases that person's life will be better used by rearing children than doing something else. There are very few people who will serve people better absent children. Mother Teresa? Perhaps. But it was her nunnery, and not her service, that precluded her from having children.

As Waters said, the great mass of professional humanity is fungible. A farmer, lawyer, doctor, is a farmer, lawyer, doctor. I'd make an exception for artists defined broadly, although having children arguably makes artists better by expanding the range of experience to express in their chosen art form. But a lawyer sitting at her desk wondering if she can serve humanity more by not having kids? Ridiculous. A legacy of a compassionate, honest citizens is rich indeed. And the whole premise of your argument is wrong: except for the very, very few (Mother Teresa), child-rearing and service outside the family are not mutually exclusive. There's a season for all things. But if you have to choose, don't miss the Spring.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote