cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2008, 08:47 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default "Strong member" supports gay civil rights

Quote:
In the past month, Matthew Herrick, an actor and singer who teaches voice at New York University, has had endless conversations about Proposition 8 with gay friends. He is among many Latter-day Saints in show business who feel the gay community should have equal civil rights, Herrick said, and unfair generalizations about Mormons could harm people's professional lives.

"A large majority of my male associates in the theater are gay. I love them dearly and they know that," said Herrick, who is married and has three children. "I support them in their fight and struggle and yet they know I am a strong member in a church that does not. Yes, a disproportionate percent of the backlash against Prop. 8 is aimed at my church. Hopefully, a lot of it is just talk."
http://www.sltrib.com/ci_11238131

I doubt he will be brought in for church discipline, but in these uncertain times, you never know. After all, he did speak to the press.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 12:24 AM   #2
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
http://www.sltrib.com/ci_11238131

I doubt he will be brought in for church discipline, but in these uncertain times, you never know. After all, he did speak to the press.
"These uncertain times?" What does that mean? How are these times any more uncertain than others? Church discipline has been left to local leaders to decide for many issues, just like Prop 8, for years and years.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote