cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2008, 05:30 AM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default (Im)mutability of cross-gender attraction?

Guys, I've been thinking and thinking, and it occurs to me maybe a sub-issue in this whole gay marriage debate is whether heterosexuality is immutable. Does anybody have any studies about whether dudes choose to like chicks or vice versa? Can we keep this discussion civil and avoid the usual bickering? Thanks in advance. I'm glad there's a place like CG where I can come and share such deep thoughts and debate such murky and fascinating questions.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 05:38 AM   #2
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

This is rather petty, isn't it?
Old 08-20-2008, 05:51 AM   #3
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
This is rather petty, isn't it?
I don't think I chose to be attracted to women. I feel pretty certain of that. You?

—Paul Auster
Old 08-20-2008, 05:51 AM   #4
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I don't think I chose to be attracted to women. I feel pretty certain of that. You?
You know what I meant.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:56 AM   #5
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
You know what I meant.
True story. I think I've been reading too many briefs and cases tonight because the first three times I saw your post I thought you said, "This is rather pretty." I thought, WTF? So not until just now did I know what you meant.

I do, however, think I make a rather self-evident point. Aren't we, heterosexuals, as well witnesses concerning whether sexual preference is a choice? If not for us, why for gays? Of course, as I've said all along, I don't really think this is a close question that deserves much discussion, partly for this reason. The whole of humans knows the answer.

How galling to hate fellow humans for an immutable characteristic.

—Paul Auster
Old 08-20-2008, 06:15 AM   #6
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

http://www.logcabin.org/lef/choice_white_paper.html
http://www.apa.org/topics/sorientation.html#whatis
http://www.motherjones.com/news/feat...by-choice.html

Last edited by All-American; 08-20-2008 at 06:24 AM.
All-American is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:58 PM   #7
CardiacCoug

CardiacCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I do, however, think I make a rather self-evident point. Aren't we, heterosexuals, as well witnesses concerning whether sexual preference is a choice? If not for us, why for gays?
I completely agree. That's pretty much what I said here: http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthr...932#post252932

That said, there are clearly some switch hitters out there, but they are even more rare than switch hitters in baseball these days.
CardiacCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:59 PM   #8
T Blue

T Blue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Guys, I've been thinking and thinking, and it occurs to me maybe a sub-issue in this whole gay marriage debate is whether heterosexuality is immutable. Does anybody have any studies about whether dudes choose to like chicks or vice versa? Can we keep this discussion civil and avoid the usual bickering? Thanks in advance. I'm glad there's a place like CG where I can come and share such deep thoughts and debate such murky and fascinating questions.
*Click* Yes you have crossed into Douche status from just being a Prick.
T Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 01:05 PM   #9
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Chalk up another case in point of why the Word of Wisdom is a good thing.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 02:25 PM   #10
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
True story. I think I've been reading too many briefs and cases tonight because the first three times I saw your post I thought you said, "This is rather pretty." I thought, WTF? So not until just now did I know what you meant.

I do, however, think I make a rather self-evident point. Aren't we, heterosexuals, as well witnesses concerning whether sexual preference is a choice? If not for us, why for gays? Of course, as I've said all along, I don't really think this is a close question that deserves much discussion, partly for this reason. The whole of humans knows the answer.

How galling to hate fellow humans for an immutable characteristic.
I think you're still trying to set up the wrong test, or at least an incomplete one. I don't think anyone ever chooses to feel an emotion, urge or desire. They chose what they do in response to that emotion,urge or desire, unless you don't believe in the concept of free will. I think those who say that it is "mutable" are only really saying that one can learn not to act on those desires anyway.

So I still say that the only question is whether, in the case of gay marriage, there are the reasons, moral or otherwise, to allow it or not allow it. Maybe you can persuade me I am wrong, however. Can you think of some other action which is the result immutable emotion, urge or desire (because it is feelings that define homosexuality and heterosexuality) that we protect or at least do not prohibit solely on that basis? I can't think of anything but there could certainly be something obvious I have overlooked.