cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2008, 07:30 PM   #21
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
From my observation, there's nothing like having teenagers to knock the burnish off of someone's self-righteousness.

Most of the truly annoying members of the north foyer conformity committee, most of the sychopants and holier-than-thous, are under the age of 40.
Well said. I agree on both counts.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:48 PM   #22
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

Ironically, the older guys in my ward are less mullah-ish in their outlook (with some notable exceptions) than many of the younger guys in the EQ. I think time and experience have mellowed them.
I don't think that is uncommon.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:52 PM   #23
ewth8tr

ewth8tr is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
Bishop or HPGL submits the name to the Stake. Stake President makes the decision. I suppose a person can ask to be ordained an HP although I've never known anyone to do so. Usually, the EQP will look through the quorum and notice that Bro. X is getting up in years and will say to the Bishop "Maybe Bro. X should be a HP?" Bishop may either submit the name for ordination sometimes they just invite Bro. X to attend priesthood with the HPs without actually ordaining him an HP.

What's bizarre are the very few people that are still Seventies. I think they got rid of Seventies quorums back in the early 80s or thereabouts. You don't run into too many people these days that were Seventies when they disbanded those quorums in the 80s but never got made HPs.
This is exactly what happened with my Dad. He was still an elder, but was 20 years older than everyone in EQ, so they had him start going to HP. He had always gone to church and such, but didn't pay tithing, hold a recommend, etc until after my Mom died. After she died, he started paying his tithing, got a recommend and a few months later, they ordained him a HP, didn't give him another calling though. That ward has a lot of great members though, Stake President was in theat ward, member of the SL Temple presidency, etc, so not enough callings to go around. Plus, he's got Parkinson's, so it makes it hard for him to get around a lot.

Må din pung bli överkörd av femhundra siamesiska elefantbögar samtidigt som du får en ananas uppkörd långt upp i rektum - Most common thing said to LiveCoug on his mission.
ewth8tr is offline   Reply With Quote