cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2008, 10:38 PM   #1
The Borg

The Borg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A "new mission"

The Church has "proselyting" missions, "service" missions, "temple" missions, "welfare" missions, etc. etc.

It is viewed as "inspired" when opportunities arise to have older couples serve as historic figures in Nauvoo, etc....

Could it be feasible, or equally "inspired" if the Church ever endorsed an "athletic" mission? akin to Donny Osmond not going on a mission (urban legend has it that he was told his mission would be through his exposure as an entertainer).

So...for top LDS athletes, in combination to a full ride scholarship to BYU, could they opt for and combine their athletic scholarship with a "mission" call so to speak? It wouldn't be the same as a proselyting mission of course, but such an athlete would be required to do certain service, firesides, splits with missionaries on Sunday, lots of different things they could do (and aren't too far off from what they are doing now).

They could date etc...BUT, would have to provide certain church service while they are under their scholarship...for the first 2 years.

Then, players could stay put during their prime athletic time to develop their skills, put forth Church service, teach, etc...and could state that they "served and honorable Church mission".

Is it feasible? I kinda like it.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:42 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

how about a "science mission" for 19 year olds interested in science?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:48 PM   #3
The Borg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
how about a "science mission" for 19 year olds interested in science?
Point taken.

However, if there were a bunch of "BYU Scientists" that are in the newspaper, and talked on TV and radio every five minutes...then maybe.

Point is, ...whether you like it or not, in our society, athletes are in the public eye quite frequently, and have greater opportunities to make an impression on the public than a brainiac scientist.

The science club is not branded "BYU". But, in our time...athletic teams are. BYU, is inherently tied at the hip to "The Church". John Beck is in the paper and people want to hear from him. Be like him, etc. Role model thing.

Austin Collie...same deal, Harvey Unga...same deal, Brian Kehl...same deal. On and on.

Sacrificing that time away is big for an athlete. Do they do more good proselyting or being an athlete...I don't know. But could it ever be an option?

I loved my mission and would do it again. But, I was never a D-1 athlete and it just seems it makes it so much more difficult for them to succeed. You would think that there could be an inspired way to do both.

I'm not sayin'.....I'm just sayin'.....
Old 04-22-2008, 10:49 PM   #4
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

The Church sent people on "art missions" to Europe in the 19th century.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:50 PM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Doesn't BYU already have that in place? 4 months and you're done?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:51 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I'm fine with athletics' missions. as long as they don't play for college or pro teams while on their mission.

Why don't some people here just come out and say what they want to say: that they don't want BYU athletes to serve missions.

See, it's easy.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:20 AM   #7
The Borg

Nope. I wouldn't want to say that. I would be great if everyone could have a wonderful experience serving a full time mission.

I am not even advocating it...just brought it up for discussion.

A case being made for something like that...would be that, as in my case, one of the best things a mission did for me was to prepare myself spiritually, as well as set the stage for a good temporal foundation, ...to be more prepared to make it in the world as such, due to the rigors, demands and schedules of a mission.

Athletes are taken out of their prime time to be prepared to succeed 'in the world' as that is the field that they have chose, have talents for etc.

So, while they can still do both, and succeed...many don't. A case could be made that if the Lord wanted to use these athletes as an instrument in His hands...to succeed, to be a role model, to be a gospel light in that arena...then it seems a provision could be made.

Obviously, at this time, the Lord does not see this as advantageous to the gospel plan, personal development etc...or it would have been done already.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:23 AM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

hey borg, what percent of former BYU athletes play sports for a living?
Old 04-23-2008, 12:37 PM   #9
The Borg

Obviously, there are a lot of holes in this topic Mr. Waters.

Answer...not very many. Since 1996 I believe, BYU has only had like 43 or so drafted...not sure how many free agents have made it....so, very few.

But, since you're actually trying to make me defend this notion, ....now however, there is the NFL Europe, Arena Football League, there's the NBA, European Leagues, Farm Clubs etc for b-ball.

How many lawyers actually make it to be in the top 150 or so in the country? How many scientists are in the top 150?
Old 04-23-2008, 12:56 PM   #10
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Not going to happen. If I was nineteen and some other nineteen year old kid got a free pass because he could play ball I'd be a little envious and perhaps resentful. Also the church has got to love it when during every game they mention that so and so served here or there. Leaves a pretty lasting impression on young LDS kid's watching that game.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote