cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2008, 09:32 PM   #21
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Btw, I understand that my daughter destroyed the spirit at church yesterday. She ran up the steps of the podium area literally a dozen times before being carted off to the foyer. Where she destroyed the spirit there as well.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 09:33 PM   #22
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Btw, I understand that my daughter destroyed the spirit at church yesterday. She ran up the steps of the podium area literally a dozen times before being carted off to the foyer. Where she destroyed the spirit there as well.
Is she under 8. Children under the age of 8 can't destroy the spirit. If their actions cause the spirit to be destroyed, it is the grown ups fault not hers.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 09:37 PM   #23
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Just imagine what that starling did to the spirit in our F&T meeting yesterday. I have never seen the deacons so wide awake during sacrament.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:13 PM   #24
barnes

barnes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Sometimes I worry about these kinds of statements, esp. with young women and men, who may have felt nothing, and then feel like they just don't get it or can't get it.

I think it's much better to say "I felt the Spirit here today." And not make assumptions.
This has never been an issue with me, except for the MTC. The constant "Do you feel the spirit?" asked to me multiple times a day and having to always say yes while role playing the discussions. I loved my mission but I consider the MTC as one of worst three weeks of life if not the worst.
barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 11:21 PM   #25
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnes View Post
This has never been an issue with me, except for the MTC. The constant "Do you feel the spirit?" asked to me multiple times a day and having to always say yes while role playing the discussions. I loved my mission but I consider the MTC as one of worst three weeks of life if not the worst.
3 weeks? I was there 9 weeks. It was tough being that close to the BYU campus.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 11:26 PM   #26
barnes

barnes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
3 weeks? I was there 9 weeks. It was tough being that close to the BYU campus.
Now that I think about it, it may have been 4 weeks. It was english speaking, but they tagged on another week because they had us do three weeks of tele-marketing.
barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 11:27 PM   #27
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnes View Post
Now that I think about it, it may have been 4 weeks. It was english speaking, but they tagged on another week because they had us do three weeks of tele-marketing.
Telemarketing, eh? LOL!

Very solid material there.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 02:51 AM   #28
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
You know, Dan, I have a hard time believing that your ward is so mundane as to provide little to no spiritual nourishment 90% of the time. There are bad and boring talks, but if you're having this much difficulty so consistently, maybe you ought to look at your attitude a little more closely.
Nice try.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:56 AM   #29
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
Nice try.
Um ... thanks, I guess.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 04:03 PM   #30
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
You know, Dan, I have a hard time believing that your ward is so mundane as to provide little to no spiritual nourishment 90% of the time. There are bad and boring talks, but if you're having this much difficulty so consistently, maybe you ought to look at your attitude a little more closely.
I don't think this is necessarily fair. It's been hard for me, recently, to really feel the spirit when I'm trying to keep my 8-month-old from disrupting the class any more than is necessary. And that has nothing to do with attitude.

I've also had teachers who were simply so bloody boring I couldn't listen to them for more than a few minutes before my mind started wandering. It's tough to feel the spirit frequently in that environment as well.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote