cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2005, 05:02 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default "The September Six"

I came across this while doing a google search of "Heavenly Mother Mormon".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/September_Six

This is about the six intellectuals who were disciplined in 1993. Sort of tells the before and "where are they now" stories.

Interesting to see that Avraham Gileadi has been rebaptized.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 05:05 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

also interesting how Michael Quinn despite being ex-ed and gay, remains a believer (I have a primary source that verifies this). I've never read any of his books...
Old 08-19-2005, 05:07 PM   #3
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: "The September Six"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
Interesting to see that Avraham Gileadi has been rebaptized.

That's good to hear. I liked some of his work.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 05:39 PM   #4
Dan

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I cringe thinking about the ...

... lock-down the church took on 'intellectiaulism' in the early 90s (hopefully it is not starting up again after the Grant Palmer saga).

Anyway, I highly recommend Gileadi. I have contact with someone who knows him personally. His book "The Last Days, Types and Shadows from the Bible and Book of Mormon" is a must read. I can not say enough about it. Gileadi WILL change your paradigm on Isaiah. He may not convert you to his way of seeing things, but he will make it so that you never see Isaiah the same way again (which is a very good thing since most people give no thought to Isaiah, thinking it too hard to comprehend). His sticky point with a lot of people is the Davidinc Servant (the Hand, etc.). His Literary Message of Isaiah is well done, IMO.

Vogel has some good books out with some good info in them, even if one does not agree with all of his views.

Quinn is, frankly, a must read as well. His heirarchy series and his Magic world view, though debateable in many specific instances throughout, are quite compelling in many other instances throughout. Quinn also has a fantastic talk out on post-manifesto polygamy. Another must read.

Temet Nosce - \"Know Thyself\"
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 04:21 AM   #5
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a class from Eugene England (actually a couple, but this happened in only one of them), and he would start each class with a prayer given by one of the students. One of the pseuodo-intellectual, brown-nosing feminists was given the opportunity one day, and she started out the prayer with, "Our Heavenly Father and Mother. . . ." My head shot up, and I opened my eyes, because I didn't want any part of that prayer. Professor England made a comment afterward about open minds and different viewpoints or something like that.

I actually really enjoyed him as a teacher, and I would take another class from him in a heartbeat.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 05:03 AM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

you mean in the next life, right? He passed away.
Old 08-20-2005, 05:02 PM   #7
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
He passed away.
No, I hadn't heard - when did that happen?

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 08:15 PM   #8
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Sept Six

I knew Lynne Kanavel Whitesides, I had a Women's Studies class from her. A very bright woman, excellent teacher. Really shed some light on women's issues. It was certainly interesting to hear something from the other side of the fence.

Amen on Gileadi, his book on Isaiah is an eye opener. Heard him give a fireside once, excellent scholar.

Regards,
Brian
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote