cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2007, 03:47 AM   #1
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 5 years of internet posting has offered up this interesting observation

If you take issue with someone's opinion, simply because you think the statement is false and/or the reasoning is lacking or faulty, then that person assumes you believe the opposite of what they do.

Once that perception is established, regardless of how frequent or specific you try to articulate your actual views, it all either gets dismissed outright, or inextricably tainted by that faux perception.

Is this some bizarre psychological phenomenon? Is it merely a lazy debating tactic?

While not directly a post about religion, this is one place in particular I notice this happen on a regular basis.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 03:54 AM   #2
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
If you take issue with someone's opinion, simply because you think the statement is false and/or the reasoning is lacking or faulty, then that person assumes you believe the opposite of what they do.

Once that perception is established, regardless of how frequent or specific you try to articulate your actual views, it all either gets dismissed outright, or inextricably tainted by that faux perception.

Is this some bizarre psychological phenomenon? Is it merely a lazy debating tactic?

While not directly a post about religion, this is one place in particular I notice this happen on a regular basis.
Five years? Come on, man. You're sandbagging. Or did you mean five years of time if you added up all the actual time you spent posting?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 03:54 AM   #3
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Five years? Come on, man. You're sandbagging. Or did you mean five years of time if you added up all the actual time you spent posting?
Ok, 5.5 years. I joined Cougarboard in 12/2001.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:03 AM   #4
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I think you should post more. Perhaps your posting history is so sparse that we don't yet have a firm picture of your thought processes and your inclinations.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:04 AM   #5
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I think you should post more. Perhaps your posting history is so sparse that we don't yet have a firm picture of your thought processes and your inclinations.
I've come to the conclusion that for you specifically, it would be irrelevant how often I posted. Besides, what I'm pointing out here applies in general and not uniquely to me.

Last edited by Indy Coug; 08-03-2007 at 04:10 AM. Reason: Clarity
Old 08-03-2007, 04:22 AM   #6
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
I've come to the conclusion that for you specifically, it would be irrelevant how often I posted.
Come on, Indy. You have to admit that there is some serious irony going on for you to argue that you are grossly misunderstood after your 15 billion posts.

Quote:
Besides, what I'm pointing out here applies in general and not uniquely to me.
So you are implying that everyone is misunderstood? Or a majority of people?
Old 08-03-2007, 04:30 AM   #7
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
So you are implying that everyone is misunderstood?
No, just ones that will consistently (and usually thoughtfully) disagree with others.

That includes plenty of people on this site, but not you; you just simply disagree with others and give monosyllabic grunts of approval to the ones you agree with.

Personally, I don't know what you believe other than you offer your peanut gallery support to those people you like and predictable derision to those people you dislike. You rarely take the time or effort to articulate anything beyond that to indicate what your views are on much of anything.

Last edited by Indy Coug; 08-03-2007 at 04:33 AM.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:34 PM   #8
Mr. Incredible

Mr. Incredible

Quote:
No, just ones that will consistently (and usually thoughtfully) disagree with others.

That includes plenty of people on this site, but not you; you just simply disagree with others and give monosyllabic grunts of approval to the ones you agree with.

Personally, I don't know what you believe other than you offer your peanut gallery support to those people you like and predictable derision to those people you dislike. You rarely take the time or effort to articulate anything beyond that to indicate what your views are on much of anything.
Yeah, what he said!
http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=2627591

Mr. Incredible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 01:58 PM   #9
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Indy you should relish your situation on this board. While I have never considered you a mullah, you and a couple of others are the closest thing we have. Get some of your hardliner pals who post on CB and TBS to join this site and arguing with you will become less interesting.

Of course you will lose your unique standing here.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 03:20 PM   #10
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
That's funny. You must be too busy typing to read any of my posts.

I am sorry I interrupted your pity party. Carry on.