cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2005, 05:37 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default "Friend" is going to lend me the D.O.McKay book

Looking forward to it.

This is a guy who probably works 70 hours a week. and then spends all his spare time reading church history. And he's like 30.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 11:12 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I've started the book. Very good so far. This is a man after my own heart. His response to the apostle who wanted to add chocolate to the "banned list" for WoW is classic. His feelings about JFieldingS and BRMcConkie's books are exactly as I would have felt (I think).

I think DOM would have appreciated cougarguard (sans the Cowboys pictures).
Old 08-21-2005, 11:33 PM   #3
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
His response to the apostle who wanted to add chocolate to the "banned list" for WoW is classic.
So, is this a cliffhanger where you tell us if we want to find out, we have to read the book, or are you going to let us in on his response? :lol:

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 12:31 AM   #4
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

What book are you reading? Something out of print?
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 01:40 AM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

The new David O. McKay biography.

To get the link on amazon, go to
http://cougarguard.com/books.htm

It's the first book. If you buy it thru this link, you are supporting the site (doesn't cost you anymore money, but 5% or so goes to the site).
Old 08-22-2005, 01:45 AM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

DOM's response was something to the effect, "Why would you want to take away one of life's pleasures" or something like that.

Another thing that has come out so far is that Ezra Taft Benson, in his earlier years at least, comes across as a nut. He seems to be extremely political and makes snipe look liberal.

I guess the spiritually significant part of this is how much ETB changed when he was the prophet. i.e. the mantle changed him (or at least changed his message).
Old 08-22-2005, 03:44 AM   #7
Dan

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Quinn has a couple of good chapters ...

... on this stuff with ETB in "Mormon Heirarchy: Extensions of Power." I do not like the way Quinn debates the evidence in a number of cases, but he does give some good sources on it.

Temet Nosce - \"Know Thyself\"
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 03:49 AM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Dan, your post was a little too grapevinian. I don't understand what you are getting at.

Also in this book, very touching account of Juanita Brooks, how she was ostracized for publishing the book about Mountain Meadows. The church decided to baptize Lee into the church (by proxy) acknowledging he had been scapegoated. Brooks decided to put this into (subsequent?) book, and was told by Apostle not to, that if she did so the baptism and ordinances by proxy might be revoked that she could be ex-ed. She made a statement to him, to the effect "what is bound on earth is bound in heaven" and went ahead with her book. Well, the apostle did push for her excom., but Pres. DOM did not support it. The account where Juanita Brooks learns of this....very touching.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:36 AM   #9
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
Another thing that has come out so far is that Ezra Taft Benson, in his earlier years at least, comes across as a nut. He seems to be extremely political and makes snipe look liberal.

I guess the spiritually significant part of this is how much ETB changed when he was the prophet. i.e. the mantle changed him (or at least changed his message).
Mike have you already reached the chapter on confrontation with communism? I cannot believe that is the same ETB that served as our prophet. He had incredible influence with McKay regarding his "fight" against communism and his work with the John Birch Society. This appears to have bothered many of the Q12. Agree that the mantle changed him. I had no idea how political ETB had been in those days.

Probably the most outrageous thing mentioned about him was his endorsement of Welch's (John Birch society founder) comment that Eisenhower was part of a communist plot, planted in the presidency to bring communism to the U.S.. I say endorsement because when he was given an opportunity to clarify his position on that particular comment he dodged the question. Apparently Eisenhower went to the grave wondering why Benson had turned on him.

Also, Benson asked for permission to run as a VP candidate for a 3rd party with none other than George Wallace. Thank goodness McKay put a stop to that one.

All in all, I'm very much enjoying this look at the inner workings of the Q12 and first presidency during those times. One person I've really begun to appreciate and love while reading this book is Hugh B. Brown. You'll begin to see why in chapter 4.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 05:38 AM   #10
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Ezra Taft Benson, in his earlier years at least, comes across as a nut. He seems to be extremely political and makes snipe look liberal.
I had a Book of Mormon class with Reed Benson, his son, who (at least as of 1986) has continued the connection with the John Birch Society, and who, since he is not, as far as I know, one of the "Lord's Annointed," definitely is a nut.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote