cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007, 11:06 PM   #31
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfulcoug View Post
ok, so let be clear about that ...A society that makes women work to death while at the same time they would have to deal with home and kids business would be honored as women dominant culture??
No. What makes it a male/female dominant culture to me is the decision making capability.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:19 PM   #32
Mindfulcoug

Mindfulcoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
No. What makes it a male/female dominant culture to me is the decision making capability.
i see your point ..but islam belives becuase women have the great ability to manage a family ,so there might be a very peaceful ,free of all stressful situations to make a best family as much as possible ..so women have zero responsibility to bring food on the table or to be worried about ..its all men's duty ..we call it positive discrimination for women
an interesting thing about women working at home in islam is ..they could have a salary as a housewife .so for any single plate they might wash ,they could charge thier husband .
although islam does urge women to study and be productive,helping family ,but they wouldnot be held responsible if they dont want to, while men are.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:32 PM   #33
jay santos

Quote:
i see your point ..but islam belives becuase women have the great ability to manage a family ,so there might be a very peaceful ,free of all stressful situations to make a best family as much as possible ..so women have zero responsibility to bring food on the table or to be worried about ..its all men's duty ..we call it positive discrimination for women
an interesting thing about women working at home in islam is ..they could have a salary as a housewife .so for any single plate they might wash ,they could charge thier husband .
although islam does urge women to study and be productive,helping family ,but they wouldnot be held responsible if they dont want to, while men are.
I'm very old fashioned when it comes to family roles. My wife is at home with the kids, and I like it that way.

I do believe a woman should be able to choose what she wants for her life. And she should have the right to study and convert to another religion without her husband disallowing it or divorcing her for it.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:44 PM   #34
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

My ex-wife was active at the beginning of our marriage, but slowly quit going altogether over the first 2 years of our marriage.

I never gave her a hard time about it, and figured if she wanted to go she should go because she wants to, not because I'd want her to. Of course had I known she was boinking someone else while I was at church, then yeah I'd probably had more of a problem with it.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:46 PM   #35
Mindfulcoug

Mindfulcoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm very old fashioned when it comes to family roles. My wife is at home with the kids, and I like it that way.

I do believe a woman should be able to choose what she wants for her life. And she should have the right to study and convert to another religion without her husband disallowing it or divorcing her for it.
well,you right ..but becuase islam has an extraordinary value for family and becuase islam says WOMEN are the principal pillar and the core of that ,and becuase islam thinks with great family and children you would have a great nation and society ...therefor women should take the responsibility of saving and protecting the family .so she would better care to meet her husband's agreement ,if its reasonable .
full time working women who might leave a shaky vulnerable family behind....itsnot what islam endorses.

Last edited by Mindfulcoug; 07-18-2007 at 11:49 PM.
Mindfulcoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 12:29 AM   #36
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
well,you right ..but becuase islam has an extraordinary value for family and becuase islam says WOMEN are the principal pillar and the core of that ,and becuase islam thinks with great family and children you would have a great nation and society ...therefor women should take the responsibility of saving and protecting the family .so she would better care to meet her husband's agreement ,if its reasonable .
full time working women who might leave a shaky vulnerable family behind....itsnot what islam endorses.
I actually think this is one area where Islam and LDS are quite similar.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 12:52 AM   #37
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
No validation needed. Just showing the other side. Mormons think it would be so awful to have an inactive spouse. I think it would be terrible to be in the shoes of the unbelieving spouse in my hypothetical.
Seems like some communication and consideration could work the situation out ... we're talking about two people who still (ostensibly) love each other, right?

If prior to marriage, the "unbelieving" spouse-to-be has an obligation to make his or her partner aware of the situation and not make pretenses toward belief just to keep the other happy. Assuming the partner is aware and understands, some agreement ought to be reached on these things ahead of time. That doesn't mean someone won't change their mind down the road (it might seem easy to say "I don't care what the kids get taught" until you actually have some), but at least it was a known factor going in.

If during the marriage, then the one making the change (either into activity, or out of it) carries the obligation of being considerate toward his or her spouse's wishes. The whole world of religious activity doesn't change immediately just because YOU don't believe any more (or vice versa, because you want to start coming back).

That said, I don't know a mixed-faith couple (or active-inactive) for whom it hasn't caused considerable strife. It's a very difficult thing to be "unequally yoked" as they way.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 01:08 AM   #38
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
That said, I don't know a mixed-faith couple (or active-inactive) for whom it hasn't caused considerable strife. It's a very difficult thing to be "unequally yoked" as they way.
Depends on how devout they are. I know several mixed-faith couples who are just fine, but religion is not that big a part of their lives. I would agree that if one or both are very active / devout in their respective faith it would be extremely difficult.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 02:09 AM   #39
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
It's cute that you look to a bunch of ignorant Mormons for validation of your life.

But on the serious side, no one can judge in these situations. I could say that I would be tolerant of my spouse in this situation, and I believe I would but I don't know what life would look like after years or months of this. Over time it's very possible that the situation and the inevitable other differences that would stem from the change in beliefs would become so frustrating and divisive that divorce could become inevitable.
Seattle is what one would, in my case most affectionately, call an equal opportunity asshole. He looks down on kikes, spooks, chinks, nips, dikes, pooftahs, mormons, ragheads, dollheads, shitheads, towelheads etc. The dude actually holds conversations about types of cheese.....

"What type of cheese is on that sandwich?"

"That's right, AMERICAN cheese!"

So don't let it bother you.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:17 AM   #40
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
Seattle is what one would, in my case most affectionately, call an equal opportunity asshole. He looks down on kikes, spooks, chinks, nips, dikes, pooftahs, mormons, ragheads, dollheads, shitheads, towelheads etc. The dude actually holds conversations about types of cheese.....

"What type of cheese is on that sandwich?"

"That's right, AMERICAN cheese!"

So don't let it bother you.
SU hates Towelie? Now that's cold.