cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2007, 04:39 PM   #31
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Luke 8:2 and Mark 16:9 do not claim this with regards to the timing, so I presumed that other apocryphal writings claimed this is when Mary was possessed by Demons.

That's what I'm objecting to here.

As for Bednar or Holland taking some proverb from the Apocrypha or CS Lewis, I see no harm in that, they are hardly using it to introduce doctrine or change our fundamental understanding of the scriptures.
Indy, I think there was some confusion about what you meant because you referred to the Apocrypha with a capital A and that has a specific context of pre New Testament Jewish writings accepted in the Roman Catholic cannon and not in Protestant cannon.

Still, I think I agree with your overall point about the shady nature of the talk relative to mainstream LDS doctrine.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 04:42 PM   #32
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
Indy, I think there was some confusion about what you meant because you referred to the Apocrypha with a capital A and that has a specific context of pre New Testament Jewish writings accepted in the Roman Catholic cannon and not in Protestant cannon.
I saw Mormon Red Death's comment about this being part of Catholic teachings and presumed this must have been part of the Apocrypha, as opposed to merely being apocryphal.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 04:43 PM   #33
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Luke 8:2 and Mark 16:9 do not claim this with regards to the timing, so I presumed that other apocryphal writings claimed this is when Mary was possessed by Demons.

That's what I'm objecting to here.

As for Bednar or Holland taking some proverb from the Apocrypha or CS Lewis, I see no harm in that, they are hardly using it to introduce doctrine or change our fundamental understanding of the scriptures.
I wondered about that part of the story, too. After reviewing the story, I assumed Drum and/or the speaker mixed up the story not that it was an apocryhpa reference.

I mostly agree with your take on apocrypha. The way Holland used it in conference would be significantly different than someone using it to fundamentally alter a scripture story we're already familiar with.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 04:46 PM   #34
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I wondered about that part of the story, too. After reviewing the story, I assumed Drum and/or the speaker mixed up the story not that it was an apocryhpa reference.

I mostly agree with your take on apocrypha. The way Holland used it in conference would be significantly different than someone using it to fundamentally alter a scripture story we're already familiar with.
The speaker began his talk with the 7 Demons reference...never gave any info on where it came from or background for the congregation. I guess he assumed we all knew what he was talking about.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:03 PM   #35
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
The speaker began his talk with the 7 Demons reference...never gave any info on where it came from or background for the congregation. I guess he assumed we all knew what he was talking about.
I was referring to this:

"He then proceeded to talk about the 7 Demons that overtook mary during the time of the crucifixion and ressurection of Jesus. The culmination of this and the ridding of the Demons was when Jesus found Mary at the seplecure and we know the famous lines of scripture that follow. "

as the inaccurate part. The scriptures make a vague reference to Mary Magdalene in Luke 8:2 as one who was possessed of devils.

Luke 8:2 And certain women, which had been healed of evil
spirits and infirmities, Mary called Magdalene, out of whom went
seven devils,

Then another reference in Mark at the sepulcher.

Mark 16:9 Now when Jesus was risen early the first day of the
week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had
cast seven devils.

My understanding (which may be off because it has come in the last hour searching on this because it's interesting to me) is that these are the only two references to Mary's seven demons, and that they were healed/exorcised much earlier and were not present and had nothing to do with the crucifixion. That inaccuracy was what led to the acrophya reference.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote