cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2006, 06:27 PM   #11
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonewallperry
There's only one Church that has the complete truth, the priesthood, and the ordinances necessary for exaltation. I think many members have a different attitude concerning other churches than they should - many churches do have a lot of truth and do a lot of good things - I really really doubt the Church is ever going to encourage its members to attend other churches to search for the truth when the Lord inspires men here to create the curriculum He wants taught. We can find all the truth we need to know about the Gospel within our own religion - by saying that I'm not saying that other religions don't have portions of the truth and don't accomplish wonderful things, but here, we have it all.
If we have it all why would the restorer of the 'all' be constantly engaged in finding my truth?

Joseph more than any other prophet has the personal recorded contact with the Savior and the celestial, why would he need to search out truth wherever it was found?
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 06:29 PM   #12
stonewallperry

stonewallperry

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11
If we have it all why would the restorer of the 'all' be constantly engaged in finding my truth?

Joseph more than any other prophet has the personal recorded contact with the Savior and the celestial, why would he need to search out truth wherever it was found?
What are you referring to?
stonewallperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 06:34 PM   #13
Quisqueyano

Quisqueyano

I think there is another distiction that needs to be made here.
That is the distiction between salvation and exaltation. As I understand it, Salvation means to the terrestrial kingdom. Using that as a definition, many good people from many differnet churches will be saved in their faith. Refer back to DC76 for the qualifications of the tr. kingdom. But it is only through making and keeping temple covenants that one can become a co-heir with Christ and recieve all that is the fathers.
Quisqueyano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 08:15 PM   #14
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quisqueyano
I think there is another distiction that needs to be made here.
That is the distiction between salvation and exaltation. As I understand it, Salvation means to the terrestrial kingdom. Using that as a definition, many good people from many differnet churches will be saved in their faith. Refer back to DC76 for the qualifications of the tr. kingdom. But it is only through making and keeping temple covenants that one can become a co-heir with Christ and recieve all that is the fathers.
Salvation can even mean Telestial kingdom. Hoyacoug and I hashed this one out a while ago:

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showpos...5&postcount=24
Old 06-27-2006, 08:19 PM   #15
stonewallperry

stonewallperry

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American
Salvation can even mean Telestial kingdom. Hoyacoug and I hashed this one out a while ago:

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showpos...5&postcount=24
In fact, if I'm not mistaken, doesn't salvation refer to everyone but those exalted and those in outer darkness?
Old 06-27-2006, 08:46 PM   #16
Quisqueyano

Quisqueyano

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonewallperry
In fact, if I'm not mistaken, doesn't salvation refer to everyone but those exalted and those in outer darkness?
Because LDS have a 3 degrees of glory view, I think it can. Other faiths that believe in one heaven and one hell have only those 2 boxes to put people in. JS said that if people could see the glory of the telestial they would commit suicide in droves to get there. (or something along those lines). That doesn't sound like the protestant/catholic view of hell.
To get to the telestial kingdom, we must me "saved" from a physical death through Christs grace, and "saved" from the spiritual death (being totally cut off from God and his Son) through grace. I think we are only totally cut off in outer darkness.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:55 PM   #17
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Because LDS have a 3 degrees of glory view, I think it can. Other faiths that believe in one heaven and one hell have only those 2 boxes to put people in. JS said that if people could see the glory of the telestial they would commit suicide in droves to get there. (or something along those lines). That doesn't sound like the protestant/catholic view of hell.
To get to the telestial kingdom, we must me "saved" from a physical death through Christs grace, and "saved" from the spiritual death (being totally cut off from God and his Son) through grace. I think we are only totally cut off in outer darkness.
First of all, it was Brigham Young who supposedly said that, not Joseph Smith. Second, Brigham Young did NOT say that.

The heaven/hell idea is essentially our Spirit Paradise/Prison concept. Our theology doesn't accept the immediate, post-death state to be our final destination.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:55 PM   #18
stonewallperry

stonewallperry

Quote:
In the Telestial Kingdom peopl are still cut off from Heavenly Father and Christ, those in the Telestial Kingdom are administered to by the Holy Ghost only.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:58 PM   #19
Quisqueyano

Quisqueyano

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11

You forget that DC also talks about learning from the best books etc. Joseph knew that there is and always has been lots of truth in the world. Even during the period of the apostasy ( I know that is another thread). But that the direct line of authority only exists in one place.
Pres. Hinkley has often said to non-LDS to bring the LIGHT (his word. that has a specific connotation to LDS) that they have and leet us see if we can add to it. We need to constantly be mining all sources of knowledge for goodness and truth. That's what the scritputres tell us to do. That is what has been reiterated recenlty from the pulpit.